Saturday, August 07, 2021

July Sweeps - Day 553

One of the frogs my nephew and I caught last summer died today.  It seemed super skinny (compared to the others) and had whitish/grey areas on its skin.  It's not that big a thing, but I thought I'd mention it.

I took the boys to a stream in the town below ours to catch some fish to feed to frogs and turtles (my nephew had wanted me to run him to the pet store so he could buy crickets, thinking they would miraculously save his dying frog--as if it had chosen not to eat out of pickiness or something, but I preferred an outing where we could catch minnows, and just enjoy nature for a little while.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In August: 722

There was tons of smoke in the air yesterday (from wildfires), to the point where they suggested people with breathing issues stay indoors.  Today wasn't as bad, but we still had a super orange sunset (and you couldn't see the mountains that are only a couple of miles to the east of town).

Push-ups Today: 50
Push-ups In August: 849 

I stayed up insanely late last night, first talking to my cousin about the movie we'd seen, then talking to Jeff in Germany (he's eight hours ahead), then exercising, then putting action figures up for sale, then going to bed around four-thirty.  But I paid for it today.  After I'd taken the boys to McDonalds for lunch, and then to catch fish (we'd had to stop by the dollar store to get butterfly nets to catch them with, because I swear, they only last two weeks and then are lost or broken, every time), I sat down in my room to check the box office of THE SUICIDE SQUAD* before I went to the library (as I always do on Saturdays), and I guess I closed my eyes.

The next thing I knew, my sister was knocking on my door, asking me if I would help her move a cooler.  I had fallen asleep in a sitting position, and now it was too late to hit the library.

But I still needed to write, so I went to the park.  But Big Anklevich called, and we chatted for a while, until the sun went down, and then, when I proceeded to write, it got not only dark, but unbelievably dark--like, outside of the computer screen, I can't see anything except streetlights in the parking lot (the park doesn't have lights in it?  None of them?).  Yet there are still kids playing here, and a young woman who is walking around, Facetiming with a friend on her phone.

I honestly doubt I would walk around in the park by myself in the dark, and I'm probably much less rape-worthy than a lot of folks.  There are a zillion crickets singing, and I can hear cars in the distance, and dogs barking, and kids on scooters riding around the jogging path.  I guess however many words I got today is all I'm going to get.

Words Today: 464
Words In August: 4287

*It didn't do nearly as well as I expected it to (or indeed, as any pundits or Warners executives expected), and you could do an entire podcast speculating as to why--being rated R, coming out for free on HBO Max at the same time, being a sequel to a poorly-received movie, not having Will Smith in it, the Delta Variant of COVID-19 scaring people away, having a high-quality version available for streaming made piracy a breeze, the shitty title, superhero movie fatigue, the pandemic training moviegoers not to go to theaters anymore, or any other reason.

No comments: