Tuesday, August 17, 2021

August Sweeps - Day 563

Just tried to spell my least-favorite word again.*  The first try was "bueuero," which looks wrong even to me.  So, I deleted it and tried it again. beauro.  Nope, that's not right either.  How about buerau?  That one looks really close.

But nope, I don't know it.  I'll have to look it up--instead of wasting three minutes on it, like I already have.  Bureau, apparently.  Hmm.

Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In August: 1782

Speaking of unpleasant words, I came across the word/phrase hors de combat last week, and discovered, after recording it, that I'd mispronounced the damn thing.  I did not want to go back and re-record, especially since I was at the cabin when I did it, and it would not sound the same if I recorded it here (although who knows, maybe it would).  

So I put up a poll on my Patreon page (something I had intended to do every month or so, just asking amusing and/or self-deprecating questions), asking what I should do.  Here was the response:


I'm not sure if I'm going to the cabin this week or not.  But I'll tell you what: if I do, I'll re-record the line.  If not . . . well, I think I'll still re-record it.  It'll only take five minutes.

Push-ups Today: 209
Push-ups In August: 2102

One of my goals I'd set for August was to renew my driver's license, and today, I thought I'd do it, since the DMV was only a mile or so from the FedEx where I mailed off a package.  So, I drove over there, filled out the paperwork for a license renewal, and got in line to get it done.  To my displeasure, I was asked if I had made an appointment today, which hadn't occurred to me.  They told me someone had canceled theirs, so they could fit me in if I would sit down and wait for my number to be called.

I sat, and was immediately called up (I'd say I waited between twenty and thirty seconds, which is not typical according to the mythology of the DMV).  They took a photo of me, and processing the paperwork, asked me to take a vision test.  There was one letter that I absolutely could not make out, and it kept showing up on the test (it looked like a star, and I said, "It's a symbol of a star," but was told there were only letters).  To make matters worse, every O that showed up seemed like it might be a Q, so I said, "It's O or Q," then went on to the next letter.

I was told that that had been a mistake, because every time I'd said that it was marked incorrect, and I had failed the test.  I said, "Oh, okay, well, let me take it again and I'll just say one of the two," but I was told I had already failed, and had to either go get my reading glasses, or go to an opthometrist and have them sign a form that said I didn't need glasses to drive.  I was sent packing, and for a brief moment, I was afraid the guy was not going to give me back my (expired) driver's license.  I don't use it a lot, but it's good to have it, right.

I left, dejected, but I knew there was an eye doctor place in the next town north of the DMV, so I drove over there.

They too asked if I had an appointment, and when I said no, told me they were all full up, not just that day, but every day until Saturday.  I left, and called the Walmart by the freeway entrance, knowing they had an eyeglass center.  They said that the bad news was that an eye exam was sixty-nine dollars, but the good news was that they had a few appointments for tomorrow.

Normally, I go to the cabin on Wednesdays, but I made an appointment anyway because my usual attitude is not to do anything in cases like these, but to give up and feel sorry for myself upon hitting any minor obstacle.  They told me that I could still renew my license even without glasses, if the eye doctor filled out the form, because it takes time for glasses to come in.  So we'll see.

Words Today: 1311
Words In August: 11,574

*Okay, my least-favorite word is "facetious," but I can at least spell that mo-fo.

No comments: