Friday, August 06, 2021

July Sweeps - Day 552

I've complained (too much?) about how I'm pantsing this current Lara Demming novel, and that it keeps throwing me curveballs I probably wouldn't have faced if I had been working from an outline.  One that reared its ugly head today was that I've apparently screwed up the classes Lara is taking.  Early on, I established that Political Science is her first period class, and the teacher is male.  But I was trying to figure out what his name was today, and typed "homeroom" to bring up the instances . . . and discovered that I had written that Lara's homeroom class is Calculus (taught by a woman named Mrs. Chutt*).

Well, I just blew a full half hour (of my library time) changing Calculus to Political Science (and vice-versa), and I'm still not sure if it works logically.  You see, where I went to school, we had A-days and B-days, with four ninety minute classes each day, so I decided to have Lara's new school do the same.  But because I'm just making this up as I go, she goes to Calculus a hell of a lot more than she goes to Poli-Sci (which I don't even know if they teach in high school**).

Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In August: 622

I met my cousin for the second time this week (at the same theater) to watch James Gunn's THE SUICIDE SQUAD.  Now, the first film was not a very good movie, but I didn't hate it as much as a lot of folks did.  Even so, I didn't feel any great need to see a sequel, except that James Gunn's name brought a lot to the table, and the ad campaign was a heck of a lot of fun.

I went to it, and was a bit bummed that I didn't feel the need to see any of the movies advertised at the beginning (except for FREE GUY, which looks like a lot of fun).  So maybe it was just my mindset, I dunno, but I ended up liking parts of TSS, but being pretty darn horrified by the violence.  I love horror movies, and am a huge fan of gory flicks like EVIL DEAD and DAY OF THE DEAD and heck, even HOSTEL.  But the violence in this film struck me more like the violence in SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, which is a different kind of visceral, shocking gore.  It's hard to explain, sorry.

I wonder if I would've felt differently on a different day, or if maybe lots of people felt like I did.  Guess I'll never know.

Push-ups Today: 205
Push-ups In August: 799

Words Today: 672
Words In August: 3823

*I don't know if I've stressed this enough, but on this story, I decided to go all-in on the terrible last names (and some first names too!), and have such beauties as Tobler, Hotchkiss, St. Jacques ["Saint Jock"], Nadler, Triml, LaVeck, Beekner, Merkel, Bartaletti, Peen, Norliss, McClaggin, and decided to top it all with a substitute teacher named Miss Frusenglasia.  Like Cap says, I can keep this up all day.


**You see, I went to school so long ago, they still taught Penmanship, Typing, and Phrenology (and had just retired the textbook on Mastodon Hunting).  It's been a while, hasn't it?

2 comments:

Big Anklevich said...

Doctor, I keep eating all the Frusen Glädjé. I can't help myself.

Rish Outfield said...

You, sir, are the man! Now. Dog.