Tuesday, August 03, 2021

August Sweeps - Day 549

I didn't quite make it to the library today, even though I'd planned to.  My cousin and I always get together on Tuesday nights, but I found I just had too many things on my plate to exercise, go on my run, get my work done so I could go to the cabin the next day, go to the storage unit and drop off the two boxes I'd filled over the weekend, and get to the library to write.

But I had about an hour free, before it was time to meet my cousin (we were going to another movie tonight, that's two in a row!), and figured I could do my sit-ups, get my run in immediately after, and think about my story while I did it.  Then, in the half hour or so left to me when I got back, I'd write it all down and feel like I'd accomplished something.

I didn't quite manage it, having been focused on what I was listening to during my run, but I was still able to start on a scene I'd been thinking of earlier in the day.  I cut it short, driving down to meet my cousin for dinner, only to find out that he was just leaving his house when I got to our meeting point.  

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In August: 300

My cousin and I spent the evening watching Disney's JUNGLE CRUISE.  I mean, just look at this beautiful poster, intended to remind you of the kind of work the legendary Drew Struzan used to do.


It was an entertaining, old fashioned Adventure film, most reminiscent of 1999's THE MUMMY and the PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN films, with just a little Indy Jones thrown in.  Dwayne Johnson was quite good in it (and even spoke some natural-sounding Castilian Spanish), and Emily Blunt is more impressive every time I see her.  The score was nice, and channeled John Williams a couple of times, and it was all pretty fun, which is usually the most you can ask for with a film like this.

It wasn't a perfect movie--the CG was out of control, with so much of it that it seemed to be a visual cacophony, the screen so busy with visual noise that all meaning is lost--but boy, the first half had me thinking, "Oh please, please, may INDIANA JONES 5 be as good as this is."

Push-ups Today: 66
Push-ups In August: 324

Will INDY5 be better?  Can it, with the expectations and baggage attached to it?  Time will tell.

Words Today: 586
Words In August: 1705

No comments: