Friday, August 13, 2021

August Sweeps - Day 559


Very warm today, over a hundred again.

I'm at the library, and I nearly set the goal of a thousand words today, just to Do It . . . but I've been here nearly an hour, and I'm only at 89 words for the day (and that's adding in little details in stretches where there's just back-and-forth dialogue).

I very rarely talk about my eBay sales, unless they go terribly, terribly wrong.  Today a strange thing happened, which I'll share simply because I don't want to write.  I accidentally sent a guy the wrong thing two or three weeks ago, and he wanted his money back.

Now, this sort of thing happens quite a bit.  I make a lot of mistakes, and one of the screw-ups I make too often is to mix up right and left ("You sent me a Left Leg, when what I ordered was the Right one!").  Well, that was the case here: I sent a right arm instead of a left one, and that was too bad, since the right arm is way more valuable than the left.

I paid to create a shipping label so the guy could return the arm, but it never arrived.  Today, eBay closed the dispute because he waited too long.  I guess that's fine (I still get his money, and I don't have to list the item again), but surely he checked to see what the right arm is going for and decided to hang on to it.  I can't blame him, really.

Oh, did I say this was a strange occurrence?  What I meant to say is, this happens all the time (probably one of three returns).  Sorry for wasting your time.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In August: 1319

I told myself I'd get a thousand words today, and you know what?  I actually accomplished a goal, for once.

As I was leaving the library--and I'd left it till the literal last minute--there was a security guard (the same one who didn't appreciate my story about the crazy dude sitting next to me a couple of weeks back) standing by the sliding glass doors, there to prevent people from entering, and only opening them to let people out.  As I got to the doors, a woman came up behind me, and exclaimed to the man, "I'm sorry, but I was afraid I was gonna shit my pants."

It seemed an odd thing to say, even though it was perfectly understandable.  I asked Big if he thought that was strange, and he agreed, though he said it might be more common in a place like Texas, where people say things more bluntly (and everything is bigger).

Push-ups Today: 207
Push-ups In August: 1569

After everyone had gone to bed, I discovered three unwatched episodes of "Rick and Morty," so I binged the EFF out of them, watching six or seven shows, ending with the Planetina episode, either the number one or number two best episode of the show.  The Planetina episode is so good, it makes THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK look like A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 5: THE DREAM CHILD.*


Words Today: 1307
Words In July: 8196

*Now, of course, that can't be true.  EMPIRE is the best movie ever, and fuck you for thinking differently.  ELM STREET 5 I saw a single time in 1989, and it could well be pretty good, or lame, I've never gone back to find out.



No comments: