Sunday, August 08, 2021

August Sweeps - Day 554

I have a big stack of action figures that are up for sale against the wall by my door, and it used to be that I'd sell one or two of them a day (this was last year, when people were much more excited by "The Mandalorian" than they seem to be right now), and I noticed that the stack was starting to lean a little bit to the right.  

The next day, the stack was leaning more, enough that I took a photo of it to show it to Marshal:

I righted the stack as best I could, then promptly forgot about it.  Unfortunately, as I was walking out the door today, something shifted, and before I was even two steps out the door, the pile came crashing down.  But I wasn't able to witness it, because I was out of the room, and when I tried to open the door, it was blocked by all the fallen figures.  Fun.

I was able to push the door open enough that I could lift my four year old nephew through, and he moved the pile enough out of the way that I could go in there and build the Jenga tower again.  And hey, as long as no one is buying Star Wars figures . . . I'll get to experience the whole thing over again!

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In August: 822

I've never told anybody this before, but there's a kid (somewhere in age between about seventeen and, say, thirty) at one of the houses, about three blocks up from where I live, who sometimes stands on his lawn, and curses or screams at passing vehicles.  He's a huge person, probably six-three or more, well over two hundred pounds (perhaps three hundred, I don't judge these things well), and there's clearly something mentally wrong with him.  But whenever I see him out there, malevolently glaring at passing vehicles, I am filled with an unjustified hatred toward him.

It's hard to explain why I get this visceral reaction when I see him.

Like the mutants in the X-men comics, I suspect.  This guy has never done anything specifically to me, except bellowing, "Manaaaaaaa!!!!" once or twice, but yeah, I see him there, and I feel . . . is it threatened?  Is it fear of the Other?  Is it just naked, ugly prejudice?

Regardless, it's something that I probably have to overcome.  Either that or work it into a story sometime, the way Poe incorporated his hatred of black cats, wine aficionados, and people with effed-up eyes in his stories.

Push-ups Today: 206
Push-ups In August: 1055

Words Today: 333 (again, I should've gotten a hell of a lot more words than this, but I liked the number enough to say, "Oh, I guess I'll leave it right there, then.")
Words In August: 4620

No comments: