Tuesday, August 24, 2021

August Sweeps - Day 570

Well, the sun is starting to set (a full hour earlier than it did in June, if I had to guess), and I'm done with my writing here at the library.  I blogged, answered a couple of emails, and did try to write, but mostly I just sweated (not sure what's wrong with me, but my hands are sticking to the keyboard--maybe the air conditioning went out in this place) and surfed the net.

I discovered this website called Quora the other day, where people ask public questions and experts (or just regular Joes) can get on there and answer them.  I've read at least a hundred of them over the past week, wasting hours that I could've been doing something else.  But I find it interesting, similar to the message boards and bulletin boards I've frequented since discovering the internet in 1995.

A great many of the Q&As on Quora are political in nature, and those seem to be the ones that are always "suggested" to me.  I've tried to stick to the Star Wars and Marvel Comics subjects, but the great majority of the Star Wars ones seem to be questions about the Prequel era or anti-Disney, and the even greater majority of the Marvel ones are "Who would win in a fight between Captain America and Red Guardian?" or worse, "Who would win in a fight between Thanos and Shazam?" (I HATE it when people mix Marvel and DC, or ask Star Wars versus Star Trek questions.  Maybe that's just me, but it's something I've always despised)

And I guess I can go into why.  The thing is, it's something very juvenile, that boys like to think about, and the comic creators learned early on that the only thing that comic fans enjoy more than seeing a hero take on a bad guy is seeing that hero take on another hero.  So, they come up with various ways to have the heroes duke it out with each other, most lazily (and most often) because of a misunderstanding.  And who will win largely depends on whose book this fight is occurring in.  But just as important is, who does the writer want to win?  A writer can come up with any B.S. reason the character he's rooting for can win a fight with the other guy, even if it's something as ridiculous as Punisher fighting Spider-man or Captain America fighting Wolverine.**

I refuse to answer--or even look at--questions like that, because the answer is, "Whoever Stan Lee says would win," or "Go outside and talk to another person, just for a few minutes," both of which are correct answers.

I have posted one question myself (in the DC Comics section), asking "What does Lex Luthor think of Amanda Waller? Does he admire her, fear her, loathe her, or consider her an ally?"  I asked this because I'm a fan of the Luthor character (I realize he's been written a dozen different ways by a hundred different writers over the years), and wondered, after seeing SUICIDE SQUAD 2 (what I'll be calling it from this point on), what the famous DC villain would think of Waller.  I honestly didn't know if he would like her or despise her.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In August: 2576

Push-ups Today: 70
Push-ups In August: 3010

Words Today: 684
Words In August: 16,930

*The best example I can come up with is the Superman/Spider-man team-up book in the mid-Seventies, where they contrived a strength-boosting ray to hit Spider-man with so that he'd be as powerful as Superman, at least as far as strength goes, and the fight wasn't over in a single page.  Even worse, though, is when they'll have Batman (who is a regular, unaugmented human being) fighting Superman (or Wonder Woman, or Solomon Grundy, or Darkseid), who is essentially a god.  That fight, despite how much I love Batman, should be over in a single panel.




No comments: