Sunday, June 06, 2021

June Sweeps - Day 491

No words today.  Sorry.

The thing is, it was a Sunday, and Sunday nights are my busiest nights for work.  I should've known I wouldn't manage to get any writing done once the sun went down.  I got a few words in the morning, and a couple when I was re-recording the last bit of "Caller I.D.," but this'll have to do.

Same thing with the damned sit-ups and push-ups.  Yesterday was hard because I was exhausted (I did my run BEFORE I got to sit-ups and push-ups, and it was really an either/or rather than chance for both.  But I'll do a few, and hopefully manage better tomorrow.

I ended up choosing not to run today, but instead to get my allotted number of -ups.  After all, nobody cares but me.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In June: 683

I took my nephews to the river today, ostensibly to look for frogs, but more likely just so they could walk around outside.  The oldest nephew had told me the wrong place to park, so we ended up walking more than a mile before we got to where he claimed frogs and turtles live.  We passed a fenced-in area with several baby goats, and fed them leaves for a few minutes along the way.

The river is usually much, much deeper at this time of year, but today, it was easily shallow enough to walk across in some places.  There were still people fishing and a couple of canoes in it, but it may run completely dry by the end of the summer.

We did get to a rather swampy area (with black mud that smelled like it came out of the butt of something), and I did see a frog there.  My nephew all but dove in trying to catch it, but it was smarter than we were (they usually are).

Besides, we still have three of the frogs we caught last summer, which the thirteen year old has to buy goldfish or crickets for every couple of weeks.  

Once we'd hit that point, it was time to turn around and head back to where I'd parked, which now seemed insanely far away.  But we'd made our bed, so we started walking.  A few minutes into it, the three year old started to lag, and when I turned around, I saw him simply sitting down on the asphalt hiking trail, not having said a word.  I guess exhaustion hit him all at once, but if I hadn't noticed, we would've walked Bossk knows how long before discovering he wasn't with us.

So, for the rest of the walk back, I carried him on my shoulders.  And while that's noble and all, the sun started to beat down, and the sandals I was wearing started to chafe my ankles, and by the time we loaded into the truck to head back, my feet were more than a little miserable.*

Push-ups Today: 179
Push-ups In June: 727

My allergies are going crazy today.  It has to be from pollen and being outside for so long.  I took a pill, then another one, and one more, and waited for them to kick in.

I nearly took a third, but the bottle said not to take more than one in a 24 hour period. 

I forced myself to write for a bit while fighting unconsciousness.  I managed almost no words, but didn't care in the slightest.

Words Today: 229
Words In June: 3794

*The next day, I examined the sandals I'd worn, discovered they were falling apart, and tossed them in the trash.  Two days later, the sores on my ankles were still fresh enough they soaked through whatever socks I'd put on that morning.  Sigh.



No comments: