Monday, June 07, 2021

June Sweeps - Day 492

Well, this is kind of amusing.  Usually I come to the library and blog and surf the web, and with whatever time is left, I write.  Today, though, I came, sat down, finished up the blog post from the other day (I had written it at the cabin, with no internet, so I couldn't post it anyway), and then got to writing.  I wrote more than a thousand words before I returned to blogging, so here we are.

Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In June: 794

I'm working on the sequel to "Caller I.D.," which is a story I wrote, I'd say, around 2015, but it might have been any time between 2012 and 2017.  I looked at old blog posts yesterday where I mentioned it, and in one, I took a picture of the notebook I wrote it in, and based on where it's located (bookended by which stories, I mean), it should be easy to peg down what year that was.  But I'm not going to do that right now.

I re-recorded the last chapter (Chapter 7) in "Caller I.D." yesterday, and edited it today.  The entire story is really, really short (about thirty-five minutes in audio), and has very few details (a couple of the chapters are two or three paragraphs long).  It feels like something I wrote when I was much, much younger, when even reaching a thousand words in a story was quite an accomplishment.  Even so, I've decided to run it on the Outcast next month or so (probably episode 202 or 203), some time around my birthday.

The reason for that--running it around my birthday--is so that I can try to make a tradition of putting out a "Caller I.D." installment every year at the same time.  The premise of the story is that a kid gets a call from the future every year on the same day, so each chapter is set in a subsequent year.  It was an idea I had, a long time ago, to write a series of these stories, catching up with present day Chad and Chad's future version one year at a time.*

I very nearly sat down and recorded an episode for it yesterday, but when I checked--no joke--I had around seven minutes of free recording time available.  So, having at least finished editing Chapter 7 today, I should be able to delete that and record something Tuesday or Wednesday.

Push-ups Today: 30 (I started to do some, then realized I'd left the stove on, and got up to turn it off . . . then forgot to do the rest.  Whoops)
Push-ups In June: 757

I started reading a new book on Friday, and took it up to the cabin with me on Saturday.  When I looked for it today, I couldn't find it, and realized I had left it up there.  So I'll have to start on another new book on Tuesday (tomorrow).  A few years back, one of the panels I went to at my writers conference stressed that you, as a writer, should not jump into a new writing project until you've finished the one you're currently working on, and that a stumbling block for amateur writers is flitting from project to project as their muse inspires them.

I had completely forgotten about this point until I read it--on my own blog--while trying to find out when I wrote "Caller I.D." the other day.  But man, it would have been really good advice to follow.  Let's say I finished twenty writing projects in 2020, and five of them in 2021--if I'd followed that rule, I'd probably have managed the same numbers . . . except I wouldn't have had ten unfinished items in 2020 and four in 2021.  There's something to be said for efficiency.

And fat-free yogurt.  Mmm.

Words Today: 1378
Words In June: 5172

*I envision a different scenario or mission he is sent on by his future self each year, varying in difficulty from dangerous to simply embarrassing, and then, in the third or fourth story, maybe later, he discovers something about his future self that throws everything into question.  I haven't figured that out yet--don't even want to know yet--but I figure the final story will be young Chad trying his best to save the life of Future Chad, and probably not succeeding. 

I was going to stick an image of Chad here, so I did a Google search, and this was the first picture that came up:

That wasn't exactly what I was after (there were several map-type pictures), so I grabbed the first person that the image search brought up.

I'm not sure who he is (he looks vaguely familiar--a boy band member?), but I shouldn't waste another ten minutes googling Chads.

No comments: