Sunday, June 20, 2021

June Sweeps - Day 505

My nephew wanted to come along in the morning when I went to stores, hoping he'd find Pokemon and sports cards.  He found neither.  This sort of thing might be the reason:

I don't tend to get a lot of words written on Sundays.  But I did drive over to the storage unit, looking for a figure I'd sold (I didn't find it-- I suppose I'll have to give the guy a refund), and stopped by the park for a few minutes, so I could lay out a blanket and at least try to write for a half hour or so.

I did alright, really, still working on the Lara and the Witch novel.  I don't usually have a self-insert character in these stories (and most of the principles tend to be female anyway).  But I thought I'd base the male opposite number Lara Demming meets in this one mostly on myself--who would I be if I suddenly could make things happen, both to the people I like and to those that I don't?--and that should be an interesting bit of self-analysis.  If I can focus and keep writing it until the end, that is.

Next time I go to the library, maybe I'll waste some valuable time trying to find an obnoxious title for it.

Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In June: 2171

Tomorrow is probably my favorite day of June.  Because it's June 21st--the longest day of the year.  It's all downhill after that, baby.

Push-ups Today: 60
Push-ups In June: 2363

I wanted to briefly mention "Saturday Night Live" again in this post.  It's one of those truly seminal shows for me, probably rating slightly above "The Wonder Years" and slightly below "Late Night With David Letterman" in my list of shows that made the biggest impact on me in my life.  I've watched the show for five decades now (which is strange math, considering it's only forty-something years old, and I never watched it in the Seventies), and have a running list of greatest cast members ever constantly rearranging itself in my head.  But my absolute favorite thing on the show--better than any sketch, recurring character, or celebrity impression--is when Colin Jost and Michael Che write jokes for each other (that they've never seen) to read on the air. 


When Jost is forced to repeat heinous attacks on black people, Rosa Parks, Hip Hop, black people, Martin Luthor King, gentrification, Baby Jesus, Harriet Tubman, black people, and Woody Allen, it becomes some kind of meta commentary on white supremacy, while at the same time revels in mean-spirited racism, and adds to it embarrassment on Jost's part, and prank humor on Che's part.

They only do it once (or occasionally twice) a year, and it is the highpoint of the night, if not the season.  It makes me wish I had friends with whom I could . . . nah, it just makes me wish I had friends.

Words Today: 1268
Words In June: 16,049

No comments: