Friday, May 08, 2020

May Sweeps - Day 98


On Monday, I went over to my uncle's house, just for a few minutes, because he wanted to sing karaoke.  Or rather, he wanted me to sing with his daughter, who had to leave town the next morning.  Her voice was rather outstanding, and even though we only did one song together--it was already late when he called me, and I had brought my nine year old and two year old nephews with me--it was "Someone Like You" by Adele, and it sounded really good.  I haven't done karaoke (at least, not the kind in front of people) since the cruise we went on in 2018.

I can't believe that's going on two years ago already.  I wonder if there will be a family vacation this summer.

Anyway, my uncle surprised me by coming over tonight, his karaoke machine in tow.  He hooked it to the TV, and most of us took turns singing songs (though I must admit that the kids seemed to have a lot more turns than the rest of us).

I talked to a woman today in a way that wouldn't be significant to any of you, but for me was actually kind of nice.  I found out her name and she told me hers, and though we had seen each other before, we'd never spoken.  I was a little bit delighted to meet her, and actually stepped forward to shake her hand, before the state of the world today kept me at bay.  We talked about that for a minute too, how the doomsayers are predicting no one will shake hands anymore after all this.

And the weird thing there is, it made me want to shake her hand all the more.

Sit-Ups Today: 47
Sit-Ups Total: 262

My aunt tonight said I seemed to have lost a lot of weight, and I must admit, some of the flab does seem to be receding.  Perhaps these sit-ups, along with the nightly running, will have some kind of effect.  All for naught, I'm afraid, but perhaps there's a value in doing something hard just to do it.

I didn't get any writing done until after eleven today.  I opened the "Only Have Eyes" file, and continued where I left off, with Mason and Natalie having an argument, then spending the rest of their shift together in awkward silence.  At least, that's what would probably have happened, but I created something to make them get over it, and by the time the sun comes up the next morning, they are friends again.

Once again, I have powers as a writer that I don't come close to in real life.

This actually feels like it might be a novel, this story.  I checked, and it's over twenty-four thousand words now.  I don't know where it's going, but surely I can't wring another sixteen thousand words out of it, can I?

Words Today: 1267
Words In May: 8297

P.S. Each day this I post:
Day 38. Easy, "Stand By Me" by Ben E. King.

No comments: