Friday, May 15, 2020

May Sweeps - Day 105


Boy, am I a glutton for punishment.  I went on a second hike this week, just as punishing as the last.  And yeah, it makes me feel alive.  What a strange, unrecognizable person I have become.  I hate to write and I look forward to exercise.  What have you done with my child!?!?!?

I decided to go up the mountain directly overlooking town (where I went on this post), and I was reminded of last year, when I told my Uncle John I wanted to climb it, and he said, "Are you kidding?  You would die!"  Now, he is fat and I am . . . well, less fat, so that gives me a tiny bit of satisfaction.

The last time I went there, which was a long while back, I had a toughish time, but really enjoyed the run down the hill.  It was also when this COVID stuff was first becoming scary, and everybody I passed on the path I felt weird about, and didn't dare ask anybody to take my picture, which I would have done just a week or so before.  Now, there were a lot more people there, and I was less freaked out about social distancing, simply because I'd been through it for a couple of months (in the back of my mind, I think that nobody sick would be doing this hike, but then we hear about asymptomatic carriers, and I dunno if I should worry or not).  And not a soul had a mask on (but I would have frankly been upset, if someone had), which would absolutely be torture on a gaspy uphill hike like that.

Well, this climb seemed a heck of a lot harder than the last one did, but it could be that I'm punishing my body a little too much, and it's taking its toll.

I like the flash reflected off the tooth--like a Colgate commercial.
I must admit, there was a moment, on a long straight stretch of path, where my body said, "No, I am not going to do this.  Why do you hate me so much?"  But I simply muttered, "'Cause everyone else does," and forced myself to keep going.  There are signposts every  switchback that tell you how far you have gone, how much further it is to go, and give encouragements such as "You can do it!" and "Not much more to go!" and "Your wife is with another man right now!"

You know, words of inspiration, to get you goin'.

And then, coming down, I reached that long straight stretch, and these two hulking, no-necked, hunched-over bodybuilder-types were coming up the path.  I had to slow to go around them--heck, Ally McBeal at her thinnest would have to slow to go around them--and I saw one of them huffing and puffing, really struggling at that moment to make it up the hill.  Well, it made me smile.


Also making me smile was how, despite the very overcast afternoon, we got an awesome mostly-red sunset as the sun was dipping below the hills on the other side of the lake.


When my brother-in-law and my nephews did the hike with me last summer, I was delighted by how fast I got running on the way down, and how it practically felt like I was flying.  When I was there last, on March 8th, I was hesitant to run down as fast as I could because I knew I would break like a stale breadstick if I were to fall, and who needs that?

But I didn't fall last time, so this time, I did it all-out on one straight stretch, and wow, it was exhilarating, especially since, in the back of my mind, I knew I was being an irresponsible child right then, and not only was death right there with one misstep, but worse, pain and humiliation were a half-misstep away.  I think I might do this every week or so.

I've never belonged to a gym, or gotten regular exercise with friends, or been even somewhat pleased with who I am as a person* . . . but maybe, when this is all over, I'd consider it.

So, I did two hikes in a week.  And hey, the weekend's here already.  And guess who just bought hiking boots?

Sit-ups Today: 40
Sit-ups Total: 539

I sat down for a few minutes and tried to write a bit of a conversation between Meeshelle (the day clerk) and Mrs. Bice (the b&b's owner) about the history of the place, but I didn't get much done.  And I don't much care.  I'll be happy to put this daily blogging/daily writing two-fer in my rear view.

Words Today: 432
Words In May: 15,274

P.S. When can I stop posting these?

Day 45. Gotta be "Disarm" by Smashing Pumpkins. Great song, but I haaaate that band.

*Still ain't.

No comments: