Sunday, February 09, 2020

February Sweeps - Night 9

Often I think about sadistic choices, such as, "For a single semi-passionate kiss from What's-Her-Name, would you forgo watching The Gay Man's Super Bowl for the rest of your life?"

And jeez, that one is hard.  On the one hand, I may well trade ANYTHING to swap spit with the girl I lurve, but on the other hand, I just love the Oscars.  I love it for the same reason you assholes hate it.  Probably for the same reason the even bigger assholes out there love the real Super Bowl.

I remember watching, maybe 1996's Oscars (the one where BRAVEHEART won), and Kirk Douglas came out, right after having his stroke.  He was in bad shape, and it was difficult to understand what he was saying.  I wasn't even that big a fan, but it was a reminder that the biggest, most iconic movie stars, are people, and people will eventually get old and pass on.  And that was, what, twenty-four years ago?
(Douglas just died this week, at a hundred-and-frigging three)(the frigging was added)

That was the first time I ever cried watching the Oscars.  It was at a get-together with friends, and it was such a good time, that I vowed to never miss them again (and I don't suppose I have, once I could watch recap videos and such on the nights when I was working and there was no way to watch it).  My favorite viewing party was in 1999 (the year SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE won), where a big group of us that loved film laughed and made fun of it all the way through, and a soon-to-be-ex-friend of mine (god, the guy was such a dick; it's one of the few times I've lost a friend and not regretted it), leaned over and said, "Next year at this time, PHANTOM MENACE will be winning all of these."

He said it unironically, and I guess it seemed like a possibility at the time.  Can you imagine?

Anyway, I hope 1917 wins tonight.  It was a remarkable achievement.  I will be watching, and unless I am very, very wrong, I will certainly cry.

I am grateful to be alive, even if I often wish otherwise.  Glad you're alive too, despite your love for football.

I went for a drive this afternoon, not sure where to go, but with a lot on my mind.  I had brought my laptop, just in case I felt like doing some writing (which I have to do anyway, especially since the library's closed today).  I didn't know where to go, but finally, I saw Big Anklevich's old neighborhood across the lake, and I decided to go there.

I drove into a housing development pretty much built up alongside the lake that I had never been to (or even seen before), and when I described it to Big over the phone, he didn't know what I was talking about.  Turns out, it was built in 2018, and Big left in 2017.  But it was all new and shiny and expensive-looking, and there were lots of No Trespassing signs and Neighborhood Association Members Only signs posted, so my plan of taking my laptop and going to the lake to write were dashed.  Also, it is February, and I was dumb to walk around out there, let alone think about writing by the water.


It bleeping amazes me that the same phone could take this gorgeous picture as took the one of me and my nephew (taken yesterday) in yesterday's post.  Sigh.

So, I went to a park, and sat down, got on my laptop, and edited some audio for a while (got a reading for another podcast that I can't wait to share with people).  Then I started on yet another new story* (since I had no internet, I didn't have access to my works-in-progress in my email, so it felt like the thing to do), and got about a thousand words in before I started to fall asleep (I may actually have fallen asleep, I can't remember).  Then I got out and jogged around the park before I got back in the car and drove home, hands freezing.

Well, I feel like I accomplished something today, even if I really didn't.

Okay, Oscars are starting.

Words Today: 1245
Words Total: 11,607

*This one is about a single mother who didn't know her father, meeting the man for the first time.  It may not be any good, but I'm going to give it my best shot.

No comments: