Wednesday, February 12, 2020

February Sweeps - Day 12


So, we're only a week into February, and I think it's safe to say this is the most productive month I've ever had.  Thanks, pathetic schoolboy crush, you're not entirely the trainwreck I thought you were!

I finished another story today, "Fatherless Child," the story I started on Sunday when I wanted to go to the lake and write, sitting on a rock or something.

Dude, I've never finished four stories in two weeks before.  And I've certainly never finished two stories in two days before.  I told Big about it, and he reminded me that somebody once challenged us to write 25 Stories In 52 Weeks.  I completely forgot about it, but there had been a movement to see if some of us would-be writers could come up with a story every other week for a year.  I am certain I thought it was an impossible task (and hey, maybe it is), but now I'm not so sure.

In 2020, I've written, if I can remember exactly, "Three-Time Visitor," "Fatherless Child," "Fisher & Florence," "Comics Trip," "Never Let Him Go," and "Troubled Child."  Those were stories, although the first one probably counts as a novella.  I wrote "Daughter Death Star Day," but I don't know if that counts.  I also started the David Bowie story, a third "Calling" installment, and "The Last Friday In December."  I think I need to make a list, maybe post it monthly, just to see what I'm capable in a year (or at least as long as I care, you know?).

So, I wasn't going to write about this, but I thought maybe it would be interesting.

Today, while I was at the library, The Girl posted a photo of herself where she had (probably with an app) created five of her standing all together, like they were sharing the same space.  My first thought was, "I'm going to comment something funny here."  And I thought about it.  After a few seconds, I had, what I figured was the best possible comment: "Oooh, I get the pretty one!"  I don't know that it was actually all that funny, bu--

Aw, eff it, it IS that funny.

But I didn't dare post it.

I was afraid that, I don't know, she would see I had posted it and feel angry or violated.  So I didn't post anything at all, merely Liked the picture.  After a few minutes, several Comments flooded in, and many of them were variations on that same idea (my favorite one was "Who's your friend?").  But still, I think mine would have been pretty good.

But I was too afraid to post it.  And that's awful sad.*

If it had been some European model or actress or something, I'd have had no problem posting it (I recognize that that's what Instagram is for), but for someone I actually know, I just didn't have the gumption.  I guess that makes me a grubworm.  Or maybe just vulnerable.

I wasn't going to post about this, but somebody today commented on one of my blog posts that my working so hard has helped inspire them to work harder, and that they appreciate all the things I've been putting out there.  It made me think that I should have gone ahead with my asinine comment, because . . . hey, positivity can be lacking in anybody's life, knowing that somebody gives a crap should NEVER be a bad thing.

Anyhoo, the hour is getting late (so let us not talk falsely now), so let me sum up by saying, "Yes, I went to the library today, and oh yes, did I write."

Like I said, I finished the story I wrote on Sunday, and that means that I have finished two stories . . . in two days.  Savor the flavor, 'cause it sure as hell won't happen again.

Words Today: 2,877
Words Total: 17,561

*Inspired by my own staggering level of cowardice (or common sense, if you agree with my hindbrain), I intended to put another one of those Put Myself Out There videos online tonight, but it had been recorded on my old phone, and wasn't on the new one.  So, I had to try to transfer it from my laptop onto my phone, and by the time that happened, I had a podcast to record.  So, to quote Adele, "Next time, I'll be braver; I'll be my own savior."

No comments: