Monday, February 24, 2020

February Sweeps - Day 24

Just when I think I'm out . . . they pull me back in.


Well, these last couple of days, I had felt pretty much like this whole thing had run its course.  I was ready to call it a day and start back to who I was before.  Heck, I'm always just about there. I'd given it a shot, but entropy is the natural state of the universe.

But no, today, I caught a glimpse of my muse, and even though she was content to let me dangle, I decided to go on as if she'd started singing a sweet Eighties ballad just for me.


I went to the library and sat myself down, telling me I wouldn't do any net surfing or checking my email until I'd written 500 words.

I started in on the Ben Parks story, which I guess I need to make up a title for*, and quite easily reached my goal.  So I kept going. A thousand words came and went (and this was the serious I was just complaining to Big is hard for me to work on). I wrote right up until the computer warned me I had five minutes to save my work or forever hold my peace.

And I might even have kept going after that.  I nearly wrote three thousand words.  I feel between yesterday and today, I knocked this story in half.  While I don't know what happens next in the narrative, the end feels really close at hand.

Afterward, I got a little bit of work done (the bare minimum, really), and finished another "Twilight Groan" episode (our worst yet), then Big was calling me.  He's on his way home, where we're going to record, but he hadn't gotten his own 1,000 words in today.  So I told him to go ahead and do the writing first, and then call me.

In the meantime, I sat down, and typed a few more words on the Ben Parks story.  Before I knew it, I had reached my goal, and kept on going.  Big finally called and we did a That Gets My Goat episode.  I feel productive, and so I am going to reward myself with sit-ups in front of the TV.

Words Today: 3,154
Words Total: 38,756

*Something like "Mission of a Sidekick" or just "A Sidekick's First Mission?" How's that sound?

No comments: