Friday, February 21, 2020

February Sweeps - Day 21


Guess I'm gonna miss February when it's over.

I made it to the library today, and it was slow going at first.  I typed a few words, then surfed the internet, then read an email, then, I dunno, scratched myself rather manically, but when I finally decided to stop screwing around and went back to my story, I really got into it.  I wrote nearly two thousand words on "Last Friday In December," and then reached a point where, if I wanted to, I could just end the story.

I didn't write those most glorious two words in the English language (okay, second only to "French Fries," sorry), but I totally feel like I could.  Do I just end the story there, letting the last line be part of a David Bowie song, or do I write one more segment, that explains what happened next and maybe sets up a storyline for the future, and do one of those awful Stephen King flashforwards like, "And when Mason Bradley passed away, not long after, nobody cried harder than Rowan West.  Except maybe for Natalie Whitmore.  The End?"

I honestly don't know, except that I love doing these interconnected stories, and they've been easier going than any writing in my entire life.  Like February, I will be pretty unhappy when this wave of ambition and renewed inspiration is over, and I look back at myself in 2020 and say, "And now, I'm glad I didn't know, The way it all would end, the way it all would go."

Yep, that's Garth Brooks, kids.  And ain't it sweet?

I didn't get much done afterward.  I spoke to Big on the phone, which is nice, but I always call him at work, which has to bug the crap out of him, but I view friendships the way James Cameron views filmmaking: It doesn't matter what I do to the people around me as long as the story I want to tell gets told.  Wait, people don't like working for James Cameron . . . I may have misunderstood the lesson there.

After that, I went for my nightly run (still sucks, maybe always will), and the app I downloaded claimed I wasn't even close to my daily goal, and really laid in on the shortcomings of the Hebrew people once midnight rolled around.  I don't really get how that works, but I'll try to do better tomorrow.

There's a local writer who's going to do a signing at the nearest Barnes & Noble (which was recently rechristened The Barnes & Noble Brandon Sanderson Living Memorial Bookstore, and that kind of irritates me) commemorating his first novel, and even though I haven't read the book, I read the flap and went to the guy's website (it's a cool site, with lots of articles and links and the first five minutes of the audiobook streamable right there).  I'm tempted to go tomorrow and support him, not because I'll ever be there, but because . . . well, maybe one day I'll be there too.

We'll see.

I thought maybe I'd just veg out on the couch and watch a movie (which I did), and edit some audio before going to sleep (which I did).  But then, just for the hell of it, I wrote just a little bit more, once I realized I only had 1,939 words for the day, instead of a full 2,000.  

Maybe it's better to always go the extra mile.  I wouldn't know, having never gone a mile in the first place.

Words Today: 2,308
Words Total: 32,717

3 comments:

Big Anklevich said...

You could have missed the pain, but you'd have to miss the dance.

Rob Broughton said...

Go to that signing! What's the worst that could happen? Well, it could be Brandon Sanderson under a pseudonym... But what's the second worst thing that could happen? You could be crushed under several collapsing bookcases... I think it's worth the risk. If Mike Resnick could write over two hundred erotica novels, if Big can eat nothing but meat, if you guys can inspire me to write over 50 days in a row so far, then you can go and see if you get a little bit of chicken soul for your soup by attending the signing and supporting that writer.

(I didn't swap soul and soup on purpose, but I'm certainly not going to fix it.)

Rish Outfield said...

Yeah, I think I'll go. I can talk about the guy in my blogpost today. Anything to keep from writing and/or contemplating my lot in life.