Tuesday, October 06, 2020

October Sweeps - Day 248

So, I went to my sister's house today, very briefly (to get something out of her crawlspace), and she mentioned that Eddie Van Halen had died.  Immediately, I called up Big to talk to him about it.  Since he works in news, I knew he'd know before I did, but Big's the biggest Van Halen fan I know, so I figured he'd have some feelings to share.  And he hadn't heard.  It was one of the stories he was expected to edit for the news that day, but he hadn't gotten that far.

He was saddened by it, but had known EVH had been sick for years with cancer, and so it was no shock to him.  However, it did bum him out quite a bit, especially since he knew he'd never get to see them in concert now.

I had never been a big fan of the band, though I liked quite a few of their songs (almost always the Sammy Hagar later tracks that the "real" fans derided), and I did buy their Greatest Hits CD in 1995 or '96 when it came out (it got promptly stolen, so I don't feel like I exactly got my money's worth).  But in their honor, I listened to my favorite VH song, "Love Comes Walking In" tonight.  

Man, I love that song.  Wish it were more applicable to the world in general, though.  Oh, and me specifically.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In October: 838

Push-ups Today: 60 (total misery, by the way)
Push-ups In October: 346

So, last night, I tried my darndest to finish recording the fourth chapter of "My Friend of Misery."  It took nearly ninety minutes.  At one point, I just turned off the darn recorder because I knew I wouldn't be saying anything for a while.

The problem was--besides the fact that I can't stop writing about teen girls--is that I must have stopped writing a scene on one day, and picked up the same scene a day or two later, because there were two different descriptions of the same incident.  Thank Bossk they were both in the same chapter, because at least I discovered it immediately.  So, what I had to do was try to combine both scenes, or pick one version over another as far as dialogue and action went.

It took quite a long time . . . and the best part is, it actually COST me words for my daily writing total, because I was eliminating whole paragraphs (see, I always paste each chapter I'm narrating into a new file, and then when I finish the chapter, I will do a word count on the revised version and subtract the original version's word count from it to count those as my words.  And usually, that works pretty well, up till now).  But hey, I also get to waste a good long time editing the recording session sometime soon, and that'll be fun.

Words Today: 676
Words In October: 5235

No comments: