Sunday, October 25, 2020

October Sweeps - Day 267


So, it's day 265.  That's a hundred days short of a full year.  Not really a milestone, that, but a bit of mathly trivia.

Also, Today is winter.  It's miserable cold outside.  Too cold for me to think, let alone go for a run.

But hey, I've said in these pages that maybe the test of a writer (or an exerciser) is to write when he/she doesn't feel like writing, when he/she is tired, when she/he is uninspired, when she/he is fat and lazy and underendowed.  Maybe the test of whether I am serious about exercising is when it's twenty-seven degrees out with a wind and I haven't much desire to go out in it.

But I did, and it was really, really rough.  For the first time, I wore long sleeves on my run, and my hands were cold enough I stuffed them into the sleeves, and just forced myself to carry on.  Strangely, though, by the time I got home, I was pushing myself hard enough (trying to keep warm) that I was still a bit sweaty by the time I came up the stairs again.  That's kind of neat.

Runner's high?

Push-ups Today: 78
Push-ups In October: 1665

Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In October: 3731 

Writing turned out to be even harder than my nightly run.  I sat down and did one more (mediocre) chapter of "My Friend of Misery," but that only got me 97 words.  I would've done another chapter, but I was no good to record anymore, and that's the lesson I learned this summer--if I record when sleepy, the audio will be unusable anyway, so I might as well stop.

But I was still supposed to write (the bloody Magic Spreadsheet doesn't even count it as writing if you produce fewer than 300 words).  I was so tired, I found myself falling asleep at the computer, my head dipping and my eyes closing for a minute or two.  But I made myself get up, walk into the other room, and type something on the computer there, away from my bed.  

I'm actually quite pleased with myself.  I now get to go to sleep knowing I worked hard and earned a good night's rest.

Words Today: 713
Words In October: 22,317



No comments: