Monday, October 12, 2020

October Sweeps - Day 254

Today was Columbus Day, which is problematic for a lot of people.  But for me, it's a bank holiday, which meant I could stay in bed till eleven and blog for a couple hours in the afternoon.  Jealous?

So, I did pathetically little when it came to writing last night.  I thought I'd run over to the library and force a thousand words out of me, but hey, the library is closed too, so no chance for that.

One of Pacific Life's slogans is "The Power To Help You Succeed."  I remember Nationwide's slogan as being "Nationwide Is On Your Side."  I'm capitalizing them for a reason.  Neither of those are perfect, but I'm really enjoying thinking about it (there's that writer Kim Harrison, that writes the "Hollows" series, where she takes Clint Eastwood movie titles and makes them about monsters--"For A Few Demons More," The Good, The Bad, and the Undead," "Every Which Way But Dead," "Two Ghosts For Sister Rachel," etc.--and half the fun of writing those has to be coming up with the titles).

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In October: 1726

Last night, when I was recording Chapter 6 of "My Friend of Misery," I gave the end of Chapter 5 a listen, to keep the character of Mister Dark's voice consistent . . . and I discovered the sound quality to be really awful.  It reminded me of the time last year I found out my microphone was on the stand backwards and was recording the opposite wall for a couple of days.  But I checked, and the microphone was fine.

What had happened was that I inadvertently turned the Auto Level function while driving home in the dark last week, and it was cranking up the room noise before I said anything, then trying to compensate whenever I narrated.  There was a lot of background hiss, then sharp inconsistency whenever I was talking (unusable, in other words).  While I didn't just sit down and redo Chapter 5, I will have to do that sometime, and that's too bad.

Having said that, there is ZERO chance I won't find things to improve or clarify in my repeat performance of the chapter, and that means that Chapter 5, at least, will be better than it would have been without the screw up.

Push-ups Today: 65
Push-ups In October: 727

So, that horseshit about doing something every day so it becomes a habit turns out to be equestrian dookie, apparently.  After writing 253 days in a row, I set my alarm tonight and nearly went to bed after having finished my push-ups . . . not realizing I hadn't done any writing yet.  Ugh.

Words Today: 316
Words In October: 10,392

No comments: