Thursday, October 08, 2020

October Sweeps - Day 250

I was so darn tired yesterday.  It's what comes from a day as long as Tuesday, and not taking a nap as soon as I got here, as I tend to do most Wednesday afternoons.  By the time ten o'clock rolled around, my body was done, it wanted to go to sleep.  I had put off writing until then, unfortunately--having focused on blogging and editing instead, but I still had to get some done.  But my brain was just not having any of it.

I put in a DVD and only made it to the 10:41 point, but I knew that if I laid down, I'd be down for the count, so I put a couple of logs on the fire (it is cool up here, but not cold, having gotten down to the forties during the night outside, but last week it was in the mid-thirties outside), and put on Marshal Latham's latest podcast . . . then woke up an hour or so later, having indeed passed out on the couch in my clothes.

But that was fine.  I got up and forced myself to write at least a hundred more words, and maybe managed that, I don't know.  There was an owl somewhere outside calling every minute or so, but I only dared go to the window and listen for it (now, in the light of day, I wish I'd gone outside and gotten some audio of it, because that's one of the most amazing sounds in nature), then didn't have the patience to wait for it.  When I slinked back to the couch, it was for the long haul--I turned out the lights and actually got under the covers, and was out until the morning.  It was early morning, though, with the sun just rising in the distance (I took this picture as soon as I got up).

I did a little bit of writing early on, but then stalled.  Who knows if I'll get the motor revvin' again.

I got invited to present a ghost story (either one of my own or one in the public domain) for a podcast for Christmas (that's right, Christmas).  So this week, I grabbed a story from about 2010 and recorded it, spending a good chunk of my morning editing it.  It was nearly double the length it was allowed to be.  So, deciding to turn a sow's ear into, well, something silky, I did an episode about it, and then went to work cutting it down.  

The story, "Gatekeeper," was eighteen minutes long edited, but I knew it had a bit of fat on it (sow's ear, after all).  But I spent nearly an hour cutting bits out, speeding up the dialogue, taking out breaths, and finally got it to eleven minutes and twelve seconds.  It's supposed to be ten.  I'm just going to put it away for a month or so, then go to work hacking and slashing again shortly before the deadline.  
Boy, now it's time to go (past time, actually), and I'm really hesitant to leave.  I got a headache, you see, and it ruined more than an hour or two of my trip today.  By the time the headache started to abate, the sun was getting low, and I read my book, "Argo" by Antonio Mendez.

I had to leave, and I was worried about dodging wildlife while driving through the canyon in the dark.  And that reminds me, I never posted my little audio from the other day.

I'll do that now.


I got home in one piece (though there were deer beside the road at one point), and tried to catch up on my emails.  I was only gone a day, but there's invoices to send and questions to answer, and one asshole that's unhappy with something I sent him because it was "soiled," when what he means is that Hasbro released a "battle-damaged" version and he . . .

You know what?  It's not worth getting a second headache over.  If he wants to return it, I'll just have to eat the money.  Let me go on to other things.

Sit-ups Today: 222
Sit-ups In October: 1160

I was worried I wouldn't be able to exercise because of my headache (I found out that my sister and my niece both had bad headaches this week, and that makes me a little nervous), but I went ahead.  I couldn't manage the push-ups tonight (so it wasn't the elevation to blame), but I split them up, half before and half after, and managed alright.  Then it was time for my run, and my body just didn't want to participate.  I considered turning around after the first block.

But I kept thinking of February 14th, and hearing "It's the first one or two miles that are the hardest for me," and I forced myself to keep going.  And after the usual half-mile struggle, it was all fine after that.  Not fun, mind you, but fine.

Push-ups Today: 62
Push-ups In October: 469

And now I'm supposed to write.  Guess I'll try to get some done.  Right after I rest my eyes for a minute.

Okay, cards on the table: I woke up, and it was just after midnight.  So I dragged my flabby, yet-still-girlishly-skinny body off my bed and forced myself to go in the other room and write a little bit.  It was hard, because my brain was still comprised mostly of Quakers Oops, All Crunchberries! cereal.  But I made myself write a little bit, spread over a half hour, before saying, "Okay, that'll do, Pig."

Words Today: 1146
Words In October: 6865

No comments: