Friday, October 16, 2020

October Sweeps - Day 258

So, the fall is rapidly giving way to something else, and when I came into the cabin this afternoon, I was greeted by dozens--if not hundreds--of dead flies at the bottom of every window.  It's gotten too cold for them, I suppose.  And to be honest, too cold for me.

I've put up with people bitching about the heat for, oh, five or six months, and now it's my turn.  I do not welcome the return of winter--not today, not ever.  Complain all you want, no matter how weak it sounds, that it's eighty-five at nine pm . . . nobody's fingers and toes ever dropped off because of the heat, you bastards.

Along those lines, I spent just a few minutes gathering wood for the fire--most of the wood I had stacked up against the house last week was still there, with nobody else coming to visit--and collected the logs from a tree my brother cut down in May or June.  It had been a young tree, but last year's rainfall had eroded the ground around it and it was starting to tip . . . toward the cabin.  Both he and I had noticed it and when the two of us were here together, he tied a rope to it, which I was in charge of pulling away from the cabin while he chainsawed it down.  Since those logs were closest to the house, I decided to stack those this trip.

But as I carried them down to the deck, I discovered that people had carved their initials into them--my brother-in-law Dave, my Aunt Barbara (I assumed that's what BC'13 meant).  And I wondered: is it wrong to burn logs that have people's carvings in them?  Like, is it disrespectful . . . or bad luck?

Of course, I thought about writing a story about it--about the misfortune that befalls someone whose carvings go into the fire.  And I left those two on the ground where I'd found them.*

I got to work editing our October episode of "Delusions of Grandeur" this afternoon, and it went swimmingly . . . except I seem to have deleted my half of the show.  I even remember it happening last night, when I was (I thought) transferring the file to my Dropbox, and then deleting a file I had already edited.  A moment later, I discovered that file I'd just deleted was still there, and I wondered what had happened.  Well, now I know.

I do not look forward to wasting my time trying to recreate that recording.  And I wish I could say this was the first or second time I've done this (I still have the audio of a That Gets My Goat that Big and Marshal sent me about the Avengers, that will never see the light of day), and even more so, that it'll be the last.  But nope.

Sit-ups Today: 500
Sit-ups In October: 2626

Push-ups Today: 0

Darn, I blew it.  I forgot the push-ups.  I had such a fun time doing sit-ups during the movie I was watching (I just put the laptop beside me on the couch and did fifty at a time, over and over), that I forgot the push-ups.  But hey, I'll do twice as many today.

Not as much writing either.  I did some editing--next Outcast episode is ready to drop as soon as I go home--and I started on the next one, but was unable to do anything on the "DoG" episode other than stick on the intro and outro.  

Words Today: 427
Words In October: 13,272

*Of course, it begs the question: wasn't the bad luck already incurred by having cut down a tree with initials on it?  What's the difference between burning a log and leaving it to get covered in snow all winter?


No comments: