Saturday, October 10, 2020

October Sweeps - Day 252

Maybe I'm not as lazy as I thought I was.  I stayed up quite late working, and then headed for bed.  But instead of sleeping, I got on my laptop and took a look at my audio files for "You're In Good Hands," the second "Lara and the Witch" book.  Sure enough, I found two or three chapters that did have a couple of mouse clicks or shuffling noises at the end of the files.  Way later, like chapter 17 or so, I found one where I took a deep hiss of air before saying the chapter name and somehow never noticed it.

So, I fixed those and re-saved them as mp3s.  Also, it turned out, two of the files were in the wrong bitrate, which their troubleshooting did not detect.*

Well, I kept telling myself, "One more chapter, and then I'll go to sleep."  But I got closer and closer to the end, and figured I'd reward myself when I finished the remastering.  But when I reached the end, I thought that I might as well upload the darn things to Audible, so I could be done with it all (judging by how long it took them to reject it--the file was submitted on the 24th of April--they'll get back to me on it sometime in February).  

It was fun, tired as I was, to see the upload date switch to 10-10, but fun is relative.  I kept getting errors uploading the files (they would time out and the page would crash.  I don't know if their servers are hammered--although they shouldn't have been at five in the morning), but finally put the darn thing to bed, and did the same with myself.  

If Audible is quick in responding/approving (which, in their defense, they were with "The Calling 2"), then I can still get the episode out this month, which is great because the show I had intended to record this week or last (the Warren Zevon one) I never got to, partly due to trying to get a story ready for a Christmas submission.

Sit-ups Today: 166
Sit-ups In October: 1476

Push-ups Today: 64 (okay, this was the hardest they've ever been.  I started to wonder if my left arm would just give out.  Or maybe my heart.  Has that ever happened?  And why don't my arms ache the next day after something like that?)
Push-ups In October: 596

So, I went to the library, and as soon as I'd sat down, I wanted to surf the net and not write.  I don't know why it's been tough for me this week, but it's no exaggeration to say that this is the worst week I've had (writing-wise) since February 1st.  

However, I did write that scene in "Lara 3" that I was mentioning the other day, and then I went ahead and wrote the scene that followed it.  I feel really good about that (which doesn't mean that this is a good story--in fact, I'm wondering if I shouldn't throw in a subpolot that ties in my ideas for a future (final?) "Lara and the Witch" story**), and it does really help my numbers for the month.

Words Today: 2195
Words In October: 9503

*Of course, it's possible that I fixed those on the mp3 version and forgot to save them on the master uncompressed files.  Though that seems doubtful.

**In which we meet the child that Old Widow Holcomb traded away so many years ago . . . and he is not pleased.

No comments: