Friday, June 19, 2020

June Sweeps - Day 140


I got an idea for another sketch today (a Star Wars one), which I thought might be amusing, so I texted Renee Chambliss first thing, before I even started writing it, to see if she'd be onboard.  It's reeeeeeeeeeeeeally similar to the one I did a month or three back, "Daughter Death Star Day," but I don't care.  I produced another SW sketch this month that I'll release in the next episode, and my dream is that someone will one day make an animated version of it (or my other SW sketches) and put that out on YouTube.

I had quite a bit of my day free today (got most of my work done last night before I went running), but all of that was thrown out the airlock when I looked at my car and noticed one of the tires was really low.  So I took it to the gas station to put air in it, but as I was doing so, I saw a nail jutting out of it, and changed my mind, not bothering to refill the tire when I'd just have to get it patched.

I took the car to Big O Tires, and they told me, oh, that tire is too worn for us to repair it, you'll need to get a new one.  I said, "Fine," knowing they would upsell me, like they always do.  Furthermore, they said they had no open appointments until two o'clock, so I said, "Alright, I can hang out until then," but when I went in to actually make the appointment, they said they were booked up until 3:15.  I know what you're saying: "So?  Go do work or enjoy yourself until 3:15."  But kids, I had a flat tire, I could only do stuff within walking distance.

Which look, is fine.  The world is not going to end because I lost a few hours in the middle of a Friday.  I actually sat down and started writing the Star Wars sketch, for want of something to do (I nearly said, "For want of a nail," but I had one of those), and that's good.  Counts as writing, doesn't it?

I think, but I'm not sure, that I'll be calling this sketch "Who's Bad?" or some other variation on the Michael Jackson song lyric ("Tell Me Once Again, Who's Bad?" maybe).  I wrote the whole darn thing in one day,

I did very little revision on the script, though I did make the change I talked about in this week's podcast (which really just adds one more joke, but not at the expense of anything that was previously there).

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In June: 2484

My cousin and I decided to go to the movies today, because the theater opened again yesterday, and it's showing so many flicks I'd love to see again on the big screen (the other two theaters in town don't open until July, but both of those will have MAD MAX: FURY ROAD at their opening, and I'd rather see that again in theaters than anything save the Star Wars Trilogy).  I invited my uncle Len to go with us, but he couldn't make it, and the two of us drove out there, only to find that all the seats were taken.  That's not to say it was sold out, but that the screenings are set up in such a way, with only half the rows available and then each seat that's sold surrounded by empty seats for social distancing, that it only took a few customers to make it virtually impassable, like when you're playing a Tic Tac Toe game and if you choose the wrong space, it guarantees a tie every time.  So, we got turned away, and every single movie starts at the same time (for some reason), so we couldn't go into, say, JURASSIC PARK, or BATMAN BEGINS, or LA LA LAND instead.*

That was surprising, as was how many cars were in the parking lot as we approached.  I understand that they're just figuring out how to re-open, and that things will change in the coming weeks, but my cousin all but insisted that we get tickets for tomorrow, and even offered to pay for them (which is nice, since they charged full price for them, instead of way less than before, as I had understood theaters were doing in an attempt to get people to come back to the movies).  Then he dropped me off, and we'll go through all this again tomorrow evening.   Which is fine, since I don't have anything else I'm doing, other than sit-ups and supposedly writing.

I typed up the bit of my sketch I wrote in my notebook, and adding it to what I typed on the sketch, I've got a good, healthy number today.

Words Today: 1709
Words In June: 20,023

*Not that my cousin would enjoy seeing LA LA LAND, though I sure would.  It's one of two movies I ever bought on Blu-Ray, despite not having a Blu-Ray player.  The other was AVENGERS (2012).

No comments: