Thursday, June 11, 2020

June Sweeps - Day 132



Gooble gobble, gooble gobble, one of us, one of us!

So, soon I will have to leave the cabin, tail betwixt my legs.  I've been here twenty-four hours, and like I said last week, one day is really not enough.  I can't say if my schedule will allow me to come again next week, but if so, I should get up as early as I can on Wednesday, and try to get here before noon or so.  Doubtful, but you never know with the way I've been getting up lately.

Last Thursday, I woke around seven-thirty or so, with the sun low in the sky.  This morning, I opened my eyes, much colder than I was last week, and the sun was just barely peeking over the horizon, not even reaching the windows yet.  It was before seven, and I had awakened.

Of course, I accomplished very little before falling asleep again, so I don't know if it technically even counts as getting up early.

The writing has been really hard.  Really, really hard.  As the second day at the cabin rapidly ran out, like water through a bucket with a crack in it, I found myself wanting to do anything but write: read my new book (I opened it and closed it on the same second page twice during the day, and only made it through the second chapter), sleep, edit audio, read Dunesteef submissions (this was the first time I'd grabbed the ones people sent us for our Christmas contest, though I probably should've tackled them months ago), even doing uncomfortable sit-ups.

I did jot down a single sentence in the post-dawn light when I first got up, but then there was nothing until almost lunchtime, when I wrote a little bit about Rowan having a scar on her knee from a bad motorcycle turn as a teen.  And then, nothing.  I did my word count, just out of curiosity, and it was less than half of what I wrote yesterday, which was a really sad, almost pathetic writing total.  Not sure what's wrong with me, except that I've kept it up for a third of a year, and it's hard to keep anything up that long (unless it's my nephews, watching inane kids television on the couch each and every day).

As the day was nearly gone, I made little fists and sat down and tried my best to write a scene through to the end.  And my best is . . . good enough?  When I did my word count, I was up over a thousand, so, yeah, good enough.

I had this idea of going for a walk, down by where I heard the frogs my first day here two weeks back, and seeing how big the lake at the bottom of the mountain was.  But I didn't get to it, not even close.

I packed everything up and left the cabin, wishing that I could stay longer, or another night, but just like last week, it's better to leave em/me wanting more than to wear out your welcome.

One advantage to having written during the day was that, tonight, when Norm Sherman emailed me (and actually texted me too) to see if I could do a rush reading of a short story for the Drabblecast, I told him I could record it tonight, not having to worry about doing other stuff.  I got it recorded, and have to get it edited and sent to him this weekend . . . for the next episode.*

I also managed to get a few more sit-ups in today, and it's already less painful than it was yesterday (although a couple of times throughout the day I did sit down wrong, including a moment ago to type this, and yep, that reminded me that I'm still alive, 'cause dead men feel no pain.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups in June: 1412

Words Today: 1304
Words In June: 11,111
(Isn't that the most spectacular number?  I swear, it was purely an accident too!)

*I checked, and it looks like I haven't been on the Drabblecast since 2015.  Is that even possible?  Of course, I haven't been on Escapepod since the twelfth of Never, but no worries, I am scheduled to do an episode right around the time that Hell freezes over.

No comments: