Tuesday, June 23, 2020

June Sweeps - Day 144


I spoke to Big A. the other day, and he was struggling with unhappiness, perhaps due to the fact that it was grey and cloudy and raining.  I feel for the guy.

But hey, I feel for me all the time (but not too much . . . you'll go blind).

Today was my early day again, and I set my alarm to wake me up.  Did it work?  Nope, of course not.  That makes three Tuesdays in a row.  I did, however, wake up about a half hour before the alarm would have gone off, and chose to snooze for "a few minutes more."

After having mentioned it weeks ago, I finally gave up on the audiobook I was listening to.  It wasn't that it wasn't well written or narrated, but I just wasn't engaging, and would only listen to it on the Wednesdays/Thursdays when I was driving to/from the cabin.  I've got another audiobook in the car (and have since they re-opened), and in a few short days, they're going to start charging late fees again, so I swapped.  It's one of those gargantuan Epic Fantasy books (Patrick Rothfuss), so I'm sure to still be listening to it at the end of the summer, if I'm still breathing then (but more about that later).

I also stopped watching the video I'd been inching my way through this week.  My sister recommended Clint Eastwood's 15:17 TO PARIS, so I got it, and was really struggling with it.  I'd been told that it gets super good once the action starts, but the entire movie is made up of flashbacks leading up to the action, and I was miserable with it.  Part of the problem (other than that format) is that Eastwood, after having originally cast three actors for the main parts, uses the three actual people who lived it to play themselves, and they vary in quality and the strength of their performance.  Still, I knew the film was earnest, and I like Clint as a director . . . but I just kept thinking, "Man, this flick is not for me."  Finally, I took it out, and out of curiosity, checked on Rotten Tomatoes to see if others felt the way I did. 

Apparently, they did.  It got a 23%, and the main summary said ""The 15:17 to Paris pays clumsily well-intentioned tribute to an act of heroism, but by casting the real-life individuals involved, director Clint Eastwood fatally derails his own efforts."  Vindication.

My nephew and I went to the mall yesterday because he dropped his phone while riding a bike and cracked the screen.  I was surprised to find phones so affordable, since everyone warned me it would be like buying a car to get a new one.  The sales reps showed us some cheap ones, then some slightly less cheap ones, and then some nicer ones, but none of them were as cripplingly expensive as my sister or my cousin told me they'd be.  But in their defense, the salesguy did ask me what I'd be using the phone for, so if I'd told him gaming or streaming instead of taking pictures and making phone calls, it might have been a different story.

I could have bought a phone right then and there, I suppose, but I'm worried about losing all the stuff on my current phone (I lost about half of my photos when my old phone died in February, and have taken hundreds since then).  The child selling the phones told me I could transfer one phone to another through bluetooth (even if there's only one account between them), and he said it as though I was an old man being explained that you didn't have to dial a number to use the internet anymore, but it can't be that easy . . . it just can't.*

Tuesdays are when I go to my cousin's house, so in order to get my running in, I'm going to have to stop typing this and do another one of those daytime runs that get me all sweaty and self-conscious.  But you gotta do what you gotta do, for absolutely no reason, right?

And speaking of enormous wastes of time, I went to the park today with my laptop, to doing my daily writing and to read the screenplay my friend asked me to check out.  It was ninety-three degrees out, so not entirely the best weather to be writing in, but I will not complain about the heat EVER.  You have my word on that.  See if you can do the same, you little pansy-arse porcelain vase (rhymes with boss).

I wrote a little bit on my endless, pointless, hopeless "Dead & Breakfast" novel, and wish I had never started on it.  Why couldn't it have been three or four short stories?  Why would I let this happen.  And then I started reading the script.  Like I said yesterday, it's not bad, it doesn't seem to be poorly-formatted, and though I found two typos, I don't think they really matter.  But it's not really my genre (it's a family Christmas movie with teenaged protagonists), and I honestly have little to contribute to it, or even suggest.

"You're hanging on by a very thin thread, and I dig that about you!"  

That quote from JERRY MAGUIRE just jumped into my head.  My cousin asked me the other day what my favorite football movie was, and that's what I said.  In fact, it's the only football movie I own.  I think about that film all the time, but it's never the bit where "you had me at hello" or "show me the money" or "help me help you" or even "the human head weighs eight pounds."  No, it's the part where Tom Cruise is feeling down, and Kelly Preston tells him he's gonna be fine and says, "You are NOT a loser!"  And then he blinks and says, "Wait, what?  Who said I was a loser?  Where did that word come from?"  He's then suspicious that his girlfriend does indeed think he's a loser.


I'm paraphrasing of course, but that scene has always stayed with me.  You can imagine why I keep thinking about it, but yeah, I relate to a Tom Cruise character.  Who knew?

The other day, the Star Wars Celebration got canceled (due to Coronavirus--"Thanks, Obama!"), and the convention is giving all the ticketholders three options: 1) a refund (minus a "service fee"), 2) merchandise credit with a slightly higher value than the ticket cost, and 3) tickets to the 2022 Star Wars Celebration instead.  When I mentioned it to my cousin, he said the same thing I was thinking: "By 2022, you'll probably be dead!"

And it's true, LeFou.  It feels awfully likely that I'll no longer be kicking around by August of 2022.  The way I feel right now, it's possible I'll be pushing up the daisies by August of 2020.**

Sit-ups Today: 120
Sit-ups In June: 2954

Words Today: 1150
Words In June: 23,423


*For example, to post a photo on this blog, I have to take it with my phone, then upload it to Dropbox, then wait for Dropbox to deliver it to this laptop, then upload the picture through blogger, then publish the page.  And that's relatively straight-forward.

**And just yesterday, I posted a "I Will Die Old" picture . . . irony?

No comments: