Tuesday, June 09, 2020

June Sweeps - Day 130


I turned on my laptop as soon as my alarm went off this morning, and as soon as I'd turned it on, the damned thing restarted, losing all the stuff I wrote yesterday . . . except that I had plugged all my words into the WordCounter program, which saves the most recent day's work.  Now all I had to do was copy and paste it, then reformat the damned thing . . . instead of writing new words.

Tuesdays are my early day now, for some reason.  You'd think, with an extra couple of hours, I'd get a lot more done than I do.

Ah well.  Guess that's why I go to the cabin.

I still haven't decided whether I dare go up tomorrow or not.  I have work to do, and I didn't finish it all today, so it's kind of irresponsible to jet off on a mid-week break with stuff left to do.*  But it's the only time I could do it this week.  I don't have a normal weekend, and Saturday's my nephew's third birthday anyway (can't see how it'll be any different than every other day, which he already treats as his birthday...though he is getting better).  Guess I'd better make up my mind.

Cathexis came over today with Panda Express for everybody for lunch.  I can't quite fathom why she'd buy for everybody, but she did (she's been doing paperwork for her mom's job lately and apparently gets paid pretty well, but still . . . I rarely go to Panda on my own because it's just so expensive).  I asked her when she wanted to do another "Twilight Zone" review, and she said today.  But then her boyfriend announced they were leaving early, so off she went.

As Boingo said, better luck, better luck next time.

My nephew (the twelve year old) challenged me to a sit-up competition today.  He's gotten quite fat, but is naturally athletic, and actually enjoys exercise.  He wanted to see if we could do a hundred sit-ups in a row.  I told him it would be almost impossible for me to manage, and absolutely impossible for him to do it.  But I was wrong on both counts.  We both did a hundred, and my sister watched us do it, then decided to do fifty of her own.  So I tried to match her fifty, and that was pretty hard, but not absolutely impossible, it turned out.

Sit-ups Today: 180
Sit-Ups in June: 1237

On Tuesdays I go to my cousin's house to watch TV, and traditionally, we have met up to eat dinner beforehand.  That meant, the last two weeks, I've had to do my nightly run when it's still light out.  Well, I had misunderstood when exactly we were getting together this week, so I thought I'd better do my run earlier than I had ever done it before.  The last few nights have been cool if not cold (one was so cold at one am when I did my run that I nearly turned around halfway through and called it a night, mostly because my hands were balled into icy little fists), so I'd been putting on sweatpants and the same long-sleeved shirt** every time.

I put it on again, and went out and did my run, and wow, it was way too hot and sunny to be doing that.  Not only that, but for the first time since the night when the dude with the flashlight tied to his genitals ran up the road ahead of me, I found another jogger going the same way as me.  This time it was an attractive, shapely young woman, on the other side of the main street, who also happened to be running, and nearly parallel with me.  She was young, as I said, with a stomach you could use to level boards with, and I don't imagine she even noticed me (though that would be crazy--you gotta notice when other people are around, especially if you're jogging alone, and, as Elaine Boosler once said, are carrying a vagina with you), but for the four block stretch we were together, I made it a point to keep up with her if I could.

And wow, that was work.  I'd like to say that she had just started out on her run, whereas I encountered her at the one mile mark, but no, she was probably just in better shape, and I had to really push myself to stay even with her.  And at the point where I turned to go onto my street and she continued forward, I was really sweating and struggling.  It made the last three blocks a bit harder than they have been the last few nights, where I've actually sped up as much as I can in the home stretch, just to get, I dunno, a single extra calorie burned off.  When I got in the house, my shirt, my face, and yeah, most probably my taint, were soaked with sweat, and I had to take a quick shower before I changed into my going-to-my-cousin's house clothes.

Not at all interesting, I realize, but I've got to fill this blog with something.

Well, it was my weakest day this month, as far as writing goes.  I tried, I really did.  But I'm just spinning my wheels on this story/book.  Another reason to go to the cabin tomorrow is to see if I can't work on something where I know the ending, like that Lara and the Witch love story I started last month.

Words Today: 559
Words In June: 9089

*Argh, that reminds me: Abbie gave me a single reline to do in her production, and I said I'd get to it yesterday.  And I didn't.  I can't remember when the deadline is, but I guess I'd better get that line re-done right now before I blog another word.
Finished.  That didn't take long.

**Why would I wear the same shirt when I run, you ask?  Am I some kind of stink freak that loves the smell of my own baked-on sweat and would love to buy used panties out of Japanese vending machines?  Well, no, it's that the shirt is light-colored, and I thought that would make me less likely to get run over by a car during my midnight runs, and then it became The Outfit for when I'd go out and do it, and I'd just throw it on every time, despite, yes, knowing that it smells and I need to wash it one of these days.

No comments: