Friday, March 15, 2019

March Vladness - Day 15

So, today, the sun was shining, which I quite appreciated, but the crack on my windshield had grown by half of a foot, which I didn't admire quite as much. By my math skills the other day, I predicted that by the first of May,the crack would have moved all the way across the windshield, drawing attention to itself to the point I could no longer ignore it. My math was even weaker than I'd thought, because now it looks like the crack will be at that point by either Monday or Tuesday.

Luckily, it looks as though I am finishing Abbie's book today, so that's at least some cash coming in. 

I also spent an hour or so editing "Ten Thousand Coffins." I believe I mentioned how slow-going this book is (even for me), but let me give you an example. I edited Chapter 23 this afternoon, which took so long I daren't even tell you . . . but the raw reading of the chapter was twenty-six minutes and fifty-eight seconds. Not too shabby, you may be saying, but when I finished editing the file, Chapter 23 is now 4:36. Yeah, a 27:00 recording for what turns out to be a four and a half minute final product. 


That's some Terrence Malick shite right there.

Regardless, I have vowed to write every day, so I kinda sorta gotta.

And therein lies the rub.  If I write everyday because of the obligation I have made, but I don't really want to, does it become less noble and Good?  Is it still an accomplishment, or does it become akin to the kid that doesn't shoplift because he's afraid of getting caught and punished, or the dude who doesn't cheat on his wife because nobody on earth would sleep with him?

I don't know, but I do know that I have continued to write every day, and on this day, I very nearly didn't, but typed for a few minutes in the wee hours of the next morning as the sun was coming up.*

This writing was on "Balms & Sears," and I wonder if I should use an "and" or an "&," and if there's even a difference.

Since I have made it a tradition to go to the library on Saturdays, I expect tomorrow will be better.

Words Today: 452
Words Total: 10,838

*You may say, "No, no, Rish, that doesn't count, because it was the NEXT DAY, so you failed."  But I'm not listening (especially since I went back to sleep after having written), any more than if you said, "No, no, Rish, many, many hot Asian and Russian babes are anxious to talk to you right now!  Just call this 900 number, with your credit card at the ready!"

No comments: