Wednesday, March 20, 2019

March Gladness - Day 20

Tuesdays are when the garbage trucks come, and I have to admit to doing myself some harm trying to get those barrels (four of them now that the green--grass/leaves/branches/etc.--barrel is being picked up again) to the curb.  Then, my nephews and I tried to rake up some of the spruce needles that litter the backyard, and I couldn't quite manage picking them up

In 1998, I broke my foot while screwing around trying to climb up a wall at an apartment building.  It hurt a little bit, but swelled up and turned purple the next day, and plagued me for more than a month after that, forcing me into crutches and a genuine Handicapped Placard on my mom's car (I had to borrow it during those weeks because mine was a manual transmission, and I could no longer manage that).  This pain is pretty comparable to that, though it honestly seems worse when I broke my foot (lifting my year old nephew out of his bed was surprisingly difficult today), but it may be because I was young then, and now I'm . . . something different.


But you didn't come here for none of that, didja?  You came for a writing update.

The troubles of two days ago seem to be behind me. As yesterday, I stopped off at the library this afternoon, and sat down in my usual spot to surf the internet and procrastinate writing.

But a weird thing happened: I started writing right away. It wasn't until I was finished and ready to save my work (which, on the library computers, means emailing it to myself) that I thought to waste time on the internet before it was time to get going.

And, as yesterday, I decided to write another scene from the Lara and the Witch sequel, this one the part where the two have their falling out (I talked about it in an Outcast episode, how Holcomb was going to seduce Lara's teenage would-be sweetheart . . . until I remembered that Lara is not seventeen, fifteen, or even thirteen--she's ten, so I had to rethink the seduction bit). And it was not only easy to write, it was a pleasure to write, maybe even more so than yesterday's bit.

I can't help, me being me, but feel like I'm abandoning "Balms & Sears," though, which is around twenty thousand words at this point. But hey, 70 to 80% of the stuff I write I abandon at one point or another. It's a rare beast I write through to the end, and many times I have picked up a work-in-progress after setting it down, and started writing on it again. Sometimes all the way through to the end.

Not that you'll ever see those, of course.*

Words Today: 1,022
Words Total: 15,339


*Do I use "of course" too much in my blog posts? I realize that everybody has their favorite go-to words or phrases that they lean on a bit too much (my buddy Algar's go-to is the racial slur that rhymes with Mike, but hey, don't hold that too much against him), but I honestly don't know what mine are. Sometimes I'm paranoid that I've had a character swallow too many times, or freeze, or stop dead in their tracks. Or poo their pants. But I don't know what I haven't noticed, and that could be worse.

No comments: