Thursday, March 28, 2019

March Cadness - Day 28

Not sure what's wrong with me today.  I'm sleepy, after having edited That Gets My Goat for only ninety minutes.  I just can't keep my eyes open, and realize I haven't REALLY been listening for the last little bit.  I hate to say it but, I'm going to go to sleep early.  And hopefully, that means I'll wake up super early (or in the middle of the night), wanting to write, work, or edit.  We'll see.

I was talking to Big the other day and he asked me if my daily writing fell apart at the end of the month, because I hadn't updated my blog in a few days.  He also commented that often, the word count on my blogposts exceeded the word count of my daily writing.

And those two go hand in hand, I think.

You see, I not only resolved to write every day in March, but I resolved to blog about it, tallying my word count and posting it.

And that's a chore, kids.

But the writing itself was the priority, so I hope you can understand if several of these daily posts are late, as long as I did the writing on the day.

On this particular day, I didn't make it to the library, but instead, I wrote for a few minutes on my mom's computer (which tends to freeze up a lot less than mine does . . . which has happened twice in the ten minutes since I sat down to blog today).

In the witch story, I got to the parting of the ways scene, and I found it kind of sweet.  As evil as Holcomb is (and I have to keep reminding myself...That...She's...Evil because I deliberately wrote her to sound like my grandma in her word choices and diction*), she has a genuine affection for and even grudging admiration for Lara Demming, which I think should continue no matter what passes between them.

It's hard to say whether the scene works well as part of the story, but on the day, I was pretty proud of it.

Words Today: 332
Words Total:  21,296

*Because she's supposed to be about a hundred years old, and my grandma would be about 105 if she were alive today.  So, I might enjoy, if I write a bunch more of these, having Holcomb use ancient references and refer to somebody like Presidents Kennedy or Nixon as having been recently, but that would necessitate Lara staying modern and pop culture reference-y, which is difficult, since a decade has already passed (in real time) since I created her.  So, I did have Holcomb refer to Sailor Swift in this piece.  Whether that's cute or not is up to you.

No comments: