Thursday, November 26, 2020

November Sweeps - Day 299


Today is Thanksgiving, and I am sleepy from overeating.  It was not a large gathering: just my sister's family and me, my mom, and then my older sister and niece came over (after going out and getting a COVID test to prove they were okay to visit).  After dinner, my brother-in-law's son came over and brought his Nintendo Switch.  We all played Mario Kart for a while, and while it was really enjoyable (except for the part where my nephew climbed on me to make me lose the race)--

--I was done after half an hour or so.  The boys, however, all played for several hours, again and again, until the sun was down, and the day was gone.  My sister decided to get them a Switch for Christmas, so I imagine the hours and hours of playing will not be a novelty anymore.

Normally, we have relatives come over from Las Vegas, or at least my uncle and his monsters will come over for Thanksgiving.  But this year, even my brother stayed at home (which I'm still not quite sure of the reason for . . . I suspect he thinks that the Coronavirus is a liberal hoax to make minorities vote or make homosexuality mandatory).  But we still had a much bigger gathering than most people, I imagine, and the food was good and plentiful.

Besides the obvious--the Monolith, Taylor Swift, the sunset--I am thankful for a lot of things.  Today is a day to focus on the positive, on the good things, to try to turn a blind eye to our problems, the things we lack.  I like Thanksgiving.

A bunch of people--religious folks, mostly--have been posting on social media all week the things they are thankful for.  Each day, I have been doing it too, posting something I'm truly appreciative of (haven't mentioned boobs, though), and reading what other people are listing.  It has been really inspiring and wonderful.

But . . .

One of my high school friends got on Facebook yesterday to talk about how Feline AIDS is the number one killer of domestic cats.

Actually, she got on there and said that it might be insensitive for people to get online and post about how much they love their spouses or their kids or their brothers or their cars or their eight inch dongs or their summer homes or their legions of screaming Korean fans or their health, because there are people out there that don't have those things.  Lest ye brag about the many things thou hast been gifted with on this special day . . . won't thou please thinketh on the children?

Oh, eff you and the cat you rode in on.  Nobody gives two alien dildos for the lonely or the poor or the sad or the people who name their pillows after your sisters on the other 364 days of the year*, so thanks for taking away the one day when people try to focus on their blessings, Debbie.  

Not all of us have been married four times, kids.  Some will be lucky to get married more than zero.

Sorry, I should not have let that make me angry.  I'd apologize, but then I'd have a hard time getting to sleep tonight on my vaguely human-shaped pillow.

Now, I'm not sure if it's okay for me to make a list (including boobs and the refrain in that Dua Lipa song) of things I'm thankful for on this day.  But I can't live in fear that somebody will take something the wrong way, especially if they've come to my own bloody blog . . . otherwise the terrorists win.

Thanks for the day, and all that is good about it.  

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In November: 2988 (kind of a step down from the weekend where I did a thousand, but ah well)

Words Today: 359
Words In November: 23,358

*Except for Christmas, I will give you that one.

No comments: