Tuesday, November 17, 2020

November Sweeps - Day 290

So, I mentioned last week that my cousin got in trouble for having me over to his house (in trouble with his mom).  well, today he let me know that we are absolutely not to see each other for the next two weeks, not for lunch (where we eat outdoors, even if it's forty degrees), and not to hang out and watch "Mandalorian" and "Seinfeld" in his basement.  Part of me wanted to tell him to defy the gods, and just do what he wants, but that's not his nature, and we both have mothers who will play the "Dead Mom Because Of You" card, so I do understand.

I wish, in a way, that my buddy Jeff weren't visiting this week, because I would pack up and head to the cabin again (probably taking my dad's truck, in case there is snow on the roads).  I've never gone up on a Tuesday, only on a Wednesday around lunchtime, because of my longstanding get-together with my cousin Tuesday nights.

This week has been unseasonably warm (I actually wore short sleeves one day this week), so it would have been fine at the cabin, maybe fire in the furnace weather, maybe not even that cold.  But I'll never know, and when Jeff leaves next week, we'll probably get sub-freezing temperatures again.

Still, I'd like to go over there and avail myself of the cabin one more time this year, even if I have to bring a gallon of water like I did last year, and use the ground as a toilet (sorry if that disturbs your delicate sensibilities . . . but to a man of a certain age, EVERYTHING becomes a toilet).


"My Friend of Misery" is now up over three hours long.  I imagine it'll end up around five or five and a half, so that feels like something.  I've also gotten so behind on my editing now that whenever I record, I run out of space (since I don't tend to delete my audio files until the episode/chapter they were for is done), and have to try to figure out what is expendable (lately, it's been stories I've started to record and never finished, like the Lovecraft one that kept putting me to sleep).

Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In November: 1949

Push-ups Today: 60 (to make up for yesterday)
Push-ups In November: 656

I got together with Jeff and we watched Alfred Hitchcock's MARNIE today.  It was on my list because Marshal wanted to do a podcast about a Sean Connery film, and that's the one we picked, since it was also a Hitchcock, and we both enjoy talking about those.

Yikes, the movie was bad, though.  I remember not liking it when I saw it about twenty-five years ago, but if anything, it was worse this time (and made even worse when I saw it has an 83% on Rotten Tomatoes, undoubtedly all of those reviews contemporary ones from fans of Hitchcock).  I remember seeing FRENZY around 1999 or so, and having heard that it was terrible, had very low expectations for it.  And FRENZY ended up being one I really, really liked, and I always wondered if it was because of my lowered expectations.

But MARNIE was bad even going into it expecting it to not be particularly good.  Even so, Sean Connery is endlessly watchable, so I'm sure Marshal and I will have nice things to say about him in it.

Oh, that reminds me: I saw a minor (local) celebrity today, someone I had never seen in person.  And they were wearing a mask, so my mind immediately said, "Nahh, you're mistaken."  Because how could I recognize somebody who I had never met in person before, and had no idea how tall or short they were in real life?  By her hair?  By her voice?  By her butt?  By her shoes?*  But I kept watching, trying to listen to her talking, hoping someone would call her by name so I would know for sure.  Or maybe she would lift up the mask and the mystery would be solved.

It didn't happen.

In the end, I walked right up to her, looked her in the eyes, and gave her a nod, then walked away.  I am 90% certain I was right . . . and that is weird.  How could I be so sure?  She had a blue cellphone in her hand at the time, so I went on Instagram as soon as I got home, and looked up pictures of her.  Sure enough, there was one of her from August, holding a blue-cased cellphone.  I rest my case, your honor.

Almost no words today either.  I recorded another chapter of my audiobook, ran out of space on my recorder, and then tried to write at least a hundred more words before I fell asleep (this was super late too, about 3:30 or 4:00 . . . see how dedicated I am, even if it's for no purpose whatsoever?)

Words Today: 308
Words In November: 14,718

*The shoes actually went along way toward convincing me I was right.  They were those checkerboard pattern Vans that girls of a certain age and financial status wear and are slavishly loyal to.  You don't believe me?  You will, Doctor Jones . . . you will become a true believer, heh, heh.


No comments: