Wednesday, November 18, 2020

November Sweeps - Day 291

A week from now, I'll be on the brink of writing three hundred days in a row.  Unless I blow it today, I mean.  And I may.

Forgive me for using Mola Ram in my logo today.

No, not because he's culturally insensitive.  FUCK that noise.  No, because I think I may have already used Mola Ram in one of the images earlier this year and forgot about it.  For that, I apologize.

Today I listened to Marshal Latham's latest Journey Into... podcast.  He talked about the loneliness of outer space, and that he loves stories that are about the last man on earth or the last man on a space station, or GRAVITY with Sandra Bullock.  And it made me think of writing a story about a guy on an outpost (the one where the sleeper ship is heading in my "Ten Thousand Coffins" book) who ends up becoming the last person alive there, due to an outbreak not unlike COVID-19.  I actually found myself pretty excited about the story and so, when I went to the library, it was that that I wrote about, rather than something I can count the words on.  

Very quickly, the library was closing up (they used to be open until nine, but now it's seven...and on Saturdays it's six!), but I was bummed that I didn't get anything countable accomplished, and now I had to go.  They made their announcement that the library was closed right after I shut my computer off and left.  The bastards actually turned off the lights upstairs as I was coming down the stairs, and I wondered about the one guy who was behind me up there (and told one of the employees that there was still a guy up there before I left).  I'd never been to the library when they were closed before.

I need to go to the bathroom now.  Just letting you know in case I don't pick up when you call.

Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In November: 2060

So, at the end of the night, I had a quandary: do I count the words I wrote at the library (which were considerable) even though I typically don't count story/book outlining as writing, or do I have to ignore them and dedicate myself to writing again?  I even considered going through and counting only the dialogue I wrote at the library, since (ostensibly) that will end up being used in the eventual story (and that's still a pretty good idea).

But in the end, I decided not to watch "30 Rock" and fall asleep on the couch (as I have often this past week or so), but to sit down and force myself to write a bit of the Will Choner story, so I would definitely have words, whether I counted the library stuff or not.

I guess it's the more productive choice, except I still have to decide how I'm going to count the words for the day.

Words Today: 1320
Words In November: 16,038

(so, this is only counting what I wrote before sleeping, and the dialogue from my outline.  Pretty impressive, considering)

No comments: