Monday, November 23, 2020

November Sweeps - Day 296


Wow, I'm still blogging.

Mondays are my busiest days working.  I got fourteen packages mailed, went to the post office AND FedEx, and still only made a dent in my shipments.  But that's how it's supposed to be in the days leading up to Christmas.  I had the opportunity to take on a job with UPS earlier this month (just a seasonal additional income thing), and I didn't take it, figuring I'd be hip-deep in regular work any day now.  Well, today was the first day in weeks it felt like the pre-Christmas rush.  And all it would take is forty or fifty more days like today, and my credit cards would be entirely paid off.

I also went over to Jeff's in the afternoon to watch a couple of episodes of "Supernatural."  We finished the ninth season, which was alright (one episode really sucked, and another one wasn't even an episode, but a lousy back-door pilot for a glossy spin-off show that never got picked up), but considering we started watching the ninth season in 2018, we'll have finished the show sometime around 2026.  Something to look forward to, I suppose.

It's nearly impossible to manage to come up with something interesting every single day for (nearly) 300 posts.  But this is something, at least:

You know how in every episode of "Quantum Leap," Sam Beckett would look in a mirror and see somebody else's face looking back at him?


Well, it'll come as no surprise that that had never happened to me in my decades on this earth.  But just like seeing a UFO, being pursued by feral children, and encountering that ghost on my run just this year . . . it actually happened to me this week.

I had come home from my run Wednesday night, the hardest and fastest one I think I had ever done (just pushing myself to see if I could, I dunno, get all sweaty when it's a chilly winter night all around me), and after I went in the bathroom to change and splash some water on my face, I looked up to see . . . somebody I didn't know.

His hair was the same color as mine (though in a different style), and his face was approximately the same shape, but it was not me.  I stared and I stared, I touched my face, I said, "Hello," and the reflection copied me . . . but I did not know who I was looking at.

And since you already think this story is bullshit* I'm going to take it a step further: this guy was better-looking than me.  Yeah, I know that's not saying much, but after a minute of trying to figure out just who I was looking at, I accepted it and thought, "I think this is what's referred to as trading up."  Then I left the bathroom.

Today, it's the same old me again.  Darn it.

Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In November: 2698

Push-ups Today: 97
Push-ups In November: 944

Words Today: 302 (yeah, what can you do?)
Words In November: 20,828

**It isn't.  I think I just blew out a few braincells and it affected my cognitive processes.

No comments: