Friday, March 08, 2024

Went To The Ninth Sector, And All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt

This week, my buddy Big and I finally got together to talk about cover art--specifically, the bad art I've had on my stories that he's seen fit to improve for me--and we talked so much that we ran out of time and will have to do it again next week.  A lot of time, the images I picked were good, but my text looked unprofessional, or worse, like recently-microwaved walrus dung.*  Other times, it was just bad, top to bottom.

And while we were looking over old covers, I stumbled upon the image Sonny See created for us back in 2014 for my story "Greetings From The Ninth Sector."  That was a story I wrote for a contest where I had to use the words "Squad," "Reports," and "George Lucas" in there somehow.**  In it, Corporal Bruce Otterson, onboard the IFS Lucas, sends messages back to his girlfriend Mandy, as their ship enters the mysterious Ninth Sector, which many onboard think is haunted or cursed. As his transmissions continue, Bruce becomes more and more concerned that his shipmates may be right

Big added the star field and the text.  Not sure why he picked that shade of blue.

Big said he could make the logo on the image look better than what I had done myself (goes without saying), and to my surprise, I discovered I had NEVER put it out on Amazon.***  So, today I remedied that.  The story is available HERE, if you never read the longer version.  I plan on publishing other stories in the next couple of weeks, so I'll keep you posted.

I also thought I would sit down one evening this month and video myself performing the story, then make it available on my Patreon.  And if people like that, do it again.  And again.  What do you think?


*Looking forward to the episode yet?  I know I am, and I haven't even started editing it.

**I figured I could just go look up the words on the Dunesteef page . . . but the Dunesteef page is long gone.  :(

***That's not technically true; it was part of a collection that's no longer available.  I really ought to put together five or eight story collections in case somebody somewhere wants to buy them.  But I probably won't.

1 comment:

Big Anklevich said...

The blue comes from the starfield. I often will do something like that to get the color for the text. I just needed something that was brighter than the dark sky behind it. Although those glowing stars right under the R in Greetings gave me trouble. I had to slide the starfield so that they came out from under the word from, because they were making the F unreadable.