Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Stay Away, Don't You Invade My Home

Today we've got a new cover for "Who Can It Be Now?" one of my personal favorites, as I wrote it for my ailing uncle, who is no longer with us.

If you recall, this is the tale I told of a recovering addict, who goes to his friend's cabin in the woods, only to get a knock at the door in the middle of the night.  There's a little girl there . . . who can't come in unless invited.


Initially, I drew a picture of a girl looking through a doorway, then took a photo of the cabin door to frame the image.  Admirable, but it never really worked, bringing the total of successful covers with my drawings on them to, um, zero.

But now, with A.I., I could ask for a pale blonde girl standing in a doorway, and get, well, something closer to my vision (in this case, looking in a window).  As usual, it took dozens of iterations to get something I liked, including this image, that Big preferred to the one I picked:

I added orange to the eyes, which is subtle, but effective.

Ultimately, I went with this one, because it was a bit less terrifying, and more vulnerable (as well as looking more like a painting you'd have on an Eighties paperback).  To each their own, eh?

Just occurred to me that there's no question mark.  Hmm.

It's hard to pick my favorites among my stories, but this is one that came out feeling pretty much what I intended (plus, my Uncle Len seemed to like it).  You can check it out HERE.


P.S. Big did indeed update it with a question mark, which he totally didn't have to do.

1 comment:

Big Anklevich said...

Shoot, does that need a question mark? I didn't put a question mark on the end of "Who Can It Be Now" but it needs one, doesn't it? Can you put that picture back in the dropbox so I can fix it?