Thursday, March 07, 2024

The Washer Did What?

Not for nothing*, but I've got another story out there, if you'd like to read it.  

In "The Washer Whispers," Gil Pinto, recently widowed, hears a sound coming from the dishwasher.  Sounds a bit like a voice, doesn't it?  What is it saying?  And is it talking to him?

Check it out HERE.

This is another one of those stories inspired by real life (I came upstairs and heard someone talking low, even though I was sure I was alone, and walked around trying to figure out who left a radio or phone on . . . but it was the gurgling of the new dishwasher, sounding remarkably like a person whispering), but ended up very much different than I intended it (I'm not usually a pantser, rather than a plotter, but this was closer to the former).

I really struggled with the cover art on this one, asking it to make a man with his hand on a dishwasher, or kneeling beside a dishwasher, or squatting in front of a dishwasher.  


I went through dozens of iterations, and it kept putting the man INSIDE the washer, or having the "camera" in the washer, and once . . . it filled the washer with skulls, which I liked, but doesn't fit the story I was telling.



Finally, I decided on the bottom image, but you may (or may not) notice: he's got three feet.  Luckily, Big cropped it tighter, and the world will never know my sin.


Oh, I did record this one, using a gruff old man voice (even though the narrator isn't even ten years older than me), and . . . that was a mistake.


*Again, I probably would not even care if Big Anklevich weren't doing so well right now with writing and publishing stories.  Peer pressure's the worst.

1 comment:

Big Anklevich said...

I actually filled in the spot of light you can see under his legs with black. That's why you don't see the third foot. It's cropped very slightly, but it needed a little more than just cropping to make that weirdness go away.