Monday, March 25, 2024

Every Week Is Library Week

I was going through old covers to my stories, including this one from "Library Week," and when I went to replace it, discovered it had never been published in the first place.


Actually, that's a pretty good cover there . . . just needs a better logo.

So, "Library Week" was a story I wrote in L.A. about a man having his kids for the weekend, taking them to the video store, then punishing them by a trip to the library, where his best pal Max works.  Funny thing is, I've spent countless hours in a library since then (more than a thousand, by my math), and probably, jeez, less than a day in video stores.  A different world, I guess.

This is the updated cover art, where I combined (as poorly as always) two different images to hopefully make a creepy one, and (expertly as always) Big put in a nice logo.

I was going to post this a couple of days ago, but when I went to publish the story on Amazon, my Microsoft Word semi-crashed.  I say "semi" because only "Library Week" went down, the other files stayed open, and the error message Not enough memory to save, do you want to recover file ws3421_tilde)? appeared on the screen--not something I had seen before.

Well, I had created the file years ago, and saved it just that morning, so I hit No.  And suddenly, Library Week was gone--I mean, the whole document was gone from the hard drive.  It still showed up in Recent Files, but when I clicked on it, I got a File Not Found error.  So, I had to go into my old 2005 folder, remove the original file, open it and reformat it for Amazon . .  and then I had to rewrite my Author's Note, which, as you know Bob, always takes longer and never feels as fresh or genuine when you're writing it a second time.  

A bit like life, isn't it?

Check it out HERE.

No comments: