Saturday, March 23, 2024

Adaptation Is The Sincerest Form of Flattery

 A few years ago, I wrote a fun THING/Who Goes There? homage called "From Another World" to run on the Dunesteef (actually, That Gets My Goat).  It was a little audio play with me, Big, and Bryan Lincoln voicing characters (seems like we had another voice on there too, but those three were the main trio*) who were on a space outpost that had been invaded by beings from . . . out there.

The worry was: what if one of those had gotten in there with them?

Anyway, I wrote it to finish off our 2014(?) "13 Nights of Halloween" podcast marathon, and I think it turned out, if not great, then at least pretty darn good.  Also, I entertained myself by naming all the characters after actresses I liked (Phoebe Cates, Cybill Shepherd, Jane Seymour, etc.), so I might have a bias. 

And then it drifted off on the ether, like all the sketches I write do.

Until 2020, that is.  Big Anklevich got it into his head that, if he adapted it into a prose version, then we could sell it, over on Amazon or on Etsy or something.  He suggested that I do it, but I wasn't going to get to it for months (if ever), so he took the initiative, and eventually put out the adaptation on the podcast.


If I recall, both Big and I reprised our original roles, which I had written for us anyway.  Instead of Bryan Lincoln, our pal Gino Moretto voiced the captain.

"They came from outside the gate, from the Wasteland."

Anyway, I guess I took offense at him doing something with my story, I dunno, because I said I wouldn't publish it myself, and he said, "You know, if you don't, that's kind of like spitting in my face."  

Walter E. Disney, that gave me pause.  I've been spit on before, and I don't really recommend it out of hand.  So, guess I gotta figure out what my version will be, and whether Amazon will even let me put it out.

Well, Big's put it out on Amazon now, so if you're curious about "From Another World (Taylor's Version)," check it out HERE.


*Turns out, it was Renee Chambliss.

No comments: