Saturday, September 25, 2021

September Sweeps - Day 602


I'm in Las Vegas, feeling about 50% better than I did this morning, and just did my exercises.  Now I can sit down and either blog, write, or read my library book (I'm leaning toward the latter).

My niece got sick (with the exact head cold/summer cold as me, only intensified), and said she wouldn't be able to drive with my sister on Saturday, so my sister asked me if I would go with her on Saturday, instead of riding with my brother and brother-in-law on Sunday (they have a golf tournament they're entered in on Saturday).  I agreed, and tried (I really tried) to get all my work done before I left, but ended up with a little bit left over, and fired off emails to let those people know the situation.  I gave two refunds and one person told me to take as long as I wanted, and that was nice (though truth be told, my sister was so long in being ready to go, that I could have managed at least one of those I had refunded during the wait).

At some point, after we were loaded up in my sister's Kia, my niece and her boyfriend decided to come along anyway, so that filled the car up way more than we had planned.  We ended up leaving all our food, our cooler, and our funeral clothes at the house, depending on my brother-in-law to get them to Vegas the next day.  We'll see if we have anything to wear for the funeral.

The drive was not that long: I drove half of it and my niece's boyfriend drove the other half.  I hadn't spent an inordinate amount of time with him before, and found that he was smart and funny, and his favorite book is "Ender's Game," which is always a good thing to hear.  I also found out, my niece gossiping and stirring up trouble from the backseat, that he often does impressions of everyone in my family, including me.  I had never heard anybody imitate me before (except for my late uncle, who tormented me from about the age of four on with his grating, demented impersonations of my voice), and it was kind of disconcerting.  But ah well.  If Big Anklevich can tolerate the randy fratboy/surfer way I imitate him, I should be able to take this.

We ended up staying at my brother-in-law's sister's house, which is huge and out in the middle of the western desert outside Vegas.  In just a few years, the city has expanded in every direction, and I imagine there wasn't even a road out here twenty years ago, let alone houses.  That's something kind of romantic about Vegas, in my mind, how it's constantly growing, and there's so much empty, uninhabitable desert land around it that it's bound to get even bigger.

They have a big garden in the back, and my oldest nephew and I looked for tomato worms with a blacklight, and I sat and watched them swim in the backyard pool while I wasted time on Facebook.  Then we went inside, where the family was watching ANT-MAN & THE WASP, so we sat down and joined them, but soon the family headed for bed, leaving only us.  My nephews fell asleep one by one, until it was just me and the four year old, me watching ANT-MAN and him playing with Duplo blocks.  Finally, I got the three boys into the guest bedroom, made my bed on the floor in the living room (they have faux-wood floors here, which is *infinitely* better than carpet).

Then I did push-ups and sit-ups, so I must be feeling better.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In September: 2735

Push-ups Today: 100
Push-ups In September: 3172

Words Today: 448
Words In September: 17,744


1 comment:

Big Anklevich said...

If the desert land is uninhabitable, then how is Vegas destined to get bigger?