Thursday, September 16, 2021

September Sweeps - Day 592

This is the first time I've come back to the library since I finished my novel, and I have nothing to write.  I came up with (yet) another story idea yesterday, and I absolutely REFUSE to start writing it, even though when it came to me, I thought, "Holy guacamole, I can't wait to start on that!"  What I need to do is finish up one of my (many) unfinished stories, then sit down and work out the logistics on this new project, which could work as (yet) another Lara Demming story, but I really don't want it to.

Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In September: 1674

Oh, I'm reminded, though, of a post I saw on another writer's Facebook yesterday.  She was complaining about how men write women in books, and was trying to show us what it would be like if women writers did the same thing, describing a man coming into a room with swinging, hairy, knotted, elongated testicles on full display.  It was crude and heavy-handed, and it made its point: men and women really have not a damn thing in common.

Okay, no, I see what she was doing, and I couldn't help but think of my recent vow to ALWAYS mention boobs in everything that write, at least until this inequality in our society has been truly brought to light.*  I felt a bit embarrassed by my promise--though because I made it on the grave of my parents, I feel obliged to still fulfill it--but not as embarrassed as I did by the idea of a dude entering a place of business with his scrotum hanging out.

Push-ups Today: 70
Push-ups In September: 1993

I ended up spending a few minutes writing up my synopsis of the maybe Lara Demming story, and when I realized that none of that counted toward my word count, I shouted "Boogers!" loudly enough that absolutely no one looked over at me on the second floor of the library.

So, I just started writing the opening scene of the story, setting it early in Lara's Junior year of high school.  Sadly, when I checked the timeline I've been keeping on the series, that would put this story in between the prologue and first chapter of "Bundling Made Easy," which I wrote last year, and haven't even considered publishing.  That means Lara has had one real boyfriend in her life, and he was a douchebag**, so I think it could work that she has an almost relationship with this new boy before she meets her major heartthrob Scotty later in her Junior year.  Heck, I could have her have a class with Scott in this story, and think he's super dreamy.

But I didn't intend to start another "Lara and the Witch" story.  I just wanted to get some words written, and not lose this (pretty good) idea that came to me yesterday.  Hmm.

Words Today: 896
Words In September: 11,091

*Okay, that's just me trying--and failing--to be funny.  I write about boobs a lot, I realize, and after another writer (not the same outraged one referenced above) vowed to ALWAYS include gay, lesbian, transgendered, or queer characters in everything she wrote from this point on (regardless of the subject matter), I decided to make darn sure there were boobs in everything I wrote too, even if it was a children's story about talking magical rabbits.  After all, "juggs" does rhyme with "Bugs," kids.

**I based him off of you.  But to your credit, you'd never refer to breasts in any of your writing.  Never.

No comments: