Saturday, September 18, 2021

September Sweeps - Day 595

This weekend was the first comic convention I've attended since the pandemic.  Masks were required, but they were kind of unpleasant.  I ought to blog about it, but boy, it does make you tired, walking around so much, eating so much crap food, and being around that many people (those related to you and those not).

My oldest nephew, thirteen, had it in his head to take a backpack full of toys with him, instead of an empty backpack to fill with toys.  It made no sense to me, but within ten minutes of getting there, he broke off from our group to wander around by himself, and I guess what he did was, he went up to vendors and asked them what they'd give him for the toys in his bag.  On a couple of more worthless items, he asked what they would trade for them, then took that new item around to see what the vendors would give him (or trade him for it).  He claimed to have made hundreds of dollars this way, and while I initially didn't believe him, he brought two bags full of toys the next day to do the same.

Two great tastes that taste great together!

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In September: 1985

About a third of the attendees were in costume, and about a hundred of those were dressed as Loki (in one of several iterations, from President Loki to 2012 Loki to Lady Loki).  My cousin's three kids all dressed up, for all three days (though I can't imagine you'd ever get those costumes clean for another year, and they'll have to be burned).

I didn't take a lot of pictures (I've gone to probably twenty of these in the last fifteen years), but I did take a picture of my ten year old nephew at the Ghostbusters booth, petting a Terror Dog.  The problem was, it was electronic, and when he got close enough to pet it, its eyes turned red and it roared.

Pants crapping in 3...2...

I went to a few panels, but except for one with low-level cast members of "The Mandalorian," none of them thrilled me like the old ones used to do. 

I bought very, very little at this convention, less so than I can ever remember buying before.  There's always all sorts of amusing or neat-looking junk for sale at these cons, such as a butterfly knife with a spoon on the end.



Besides crazy amounts of food, I bought an action figure the first day, a comic book the second day, and three Miles Morales figures the third day.  And I think that was it.  Of course, the comic I bought (Savage She-Hulk 1) was the most I'd ever spent on a comic book before.  But it was a book I'd always wanted to own, and who can say, after the Disney+ series premieres, maybe the comic will shoot way up in value.  You never know.


Push-ups Today: 220
Push-ups In September: 2499

My nephew, though, spent insane amounts of money, especially on the last day.  There was a booth selling an X-Box Series S, and he got it into his head to buy it.  I figured he plays enough video games as it is (they have an X-box 360 and a Nintendo Switch), and told him he couldn't, but he called his dad who said that if he had the money, to go ahead.



If you can believe it, my nephew DID have enough money, but he had bought a bunch of sports and Pokemon cards, and just fell short of the total.  I hoped he would understand that when you blow your money like that (on stuff you sort of want), you might not have enough to buy what you really want.  But the lesson was lost on him.

I COULD have given him/lent him the money to buy it (he also wanted to buy games to go with it too, as well as an extra controller), but I honestly did not want him to buy it.  No matter what his dad said.
And when the boy went off to try and sell some of the cards he had picked up (nobody wanted them because he had opened them as soon as he bought them), somebody else bought the X-box, and his day was ruined.

He complained about it for the rest of the day, and during the next day as well, even going as far as to claim that he was going to SELL the X-box, not play it (which was never even a consideration).

Words Today: 1978
Words In September: 14,085

2 comments:

Journey Into... said...

I once owned that Savage She-Hulk #1 comic. It wasn't in the best condition, but I probably didn't sell it for what it was worth, maybe $15 back in the day.

Rish Outfield said...

Could Jennifer change at will in the first issue, or just when she got angry like her cousin?