Wednesday, July 29, 2020

July Sweeps - Day 180


At the cabin again, though not really by design.  Going to try to make the best of it--but coming here twice in five days is really excessive.

There's only three days left in July, and one of my goals was to publish "Three-Time Visitor."  I know that, had I not come up here, I could've managed it.  But would I have?

Probably not.  Though I could have finished recording the audiobook, and focused on doing a cover before putting it out there.  Tomorrow I'm going home, so I suppose I still could achieve that goal, if I really put my mind to it.  If I did, then I'd have managed every goal I set for myself in July.

So, I looked all over as soon as I got here, and I couldn't find my mom's pocketbook and credit cards.  I searched all over where she said she thought she'd left them, but no go.  After typing this, I went up and lifted up mattresses, checking in drawers and in garbage cans, but they're simply not up there.  That was the whole point of coming up here, and I feel surprisingly bad about it.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups in July: 4467

I was deleting old pictures off my phone this afternoon, and I came across this one I took a year back.  It's a fairly-plain Toyota Camry I saw in a Walmart parking lot when I was driving to the cabin in July, except it had a large sticker across the rear bumper that said "One Less Lonely Girl" on it.


Unremarkable, except that I thought about it for a while, and before I left, I took a picture of it, because I wanted to imagine what it meant and who it might belong to.  Maybe there's a story there--not that I ever wrote one--but I wish I could've asked her, because there's something Happily Ever After about it, probably because of the word "Less."

I wonder what I'd put on my own bumper (although I've had stickers over the years, including "You May Say I'm A Dreamer, But I'm Not The Only One," and "Hang Up And Drive," and one I made myself that said "Magneto Was Right."  But I don't know how mysterious and touching those are, not compared to "One Less Lonely Girl."

Also, when I was in Vegas last week, I saw a bumper sticker on a car that said "TRUMP 2020: Re-elect the mother-f**ker."  Without the bleeps of course.  I found it amusing, but the more that I thought about it, the more I thought it was a pro-Trump sticker rather than an anti- one, and probably the worst kind of his supporter: the type of personal that revels in his worst qualities, that takes his lies and childish behavior and bullying and profound lack of thoughtfulness and holds those up as reasons to like him.  We all know the type.

I sort of wish I had taken a photo of that sticker.  But I didn't.

Words Today: 1052
Words In July: 27,416

No comments: