Tuesday, July 07, 2020

June Sweeps - Day 158 (sorry, July)


Can you believe that this is one hundred and fifty-eight days straight of blogging?  Of course, you probably gave up long ago, and I can hardly blame you.

But I'm going to write today, regardless.  At least two hundred words.  That's doable, isn't it?

Plans got canceled for mid-day today, so I went with my sister to the mall to see if they could repair or replace her cracked phone (a stuffed animal actually cracked the screen--which doesn't seem possible, except they have hard buttons for eyes).

Despite calling my phone a piece of crap every single day for the last two months or so (odd, since I only got it in February), I think I'm going to miss it.  Familiarity in a device as omnipresent as a cellphone does not breed contempt--you know how to make it do what you want it to do, and the last one I had--which only died back in February--I could turn on in the dark and use with my eyes closed.  There will be a learning curve on the new one, and I don't really enjoy that prospect.

The girl at T-Mobile was showing me my options, but they were all much, much bigger than the phone I've been using.  It was only two weeks ago (maybe three) that my nephew and I had gone in there, and looked at phones, and found one that I was happy with, but that model was sold out.  The boy was drawn to a big phone with a very nice camera--it has three different lenses, for some reason--which I would've picked, if it hadn't been so darn big (it's maybe 2.5 times the size of the one I've been carrying around for the last four years).  But there was a smaller version of that (albeit with a significantly worse camera), and I said I'd take it.  But the store didn't have that small model in either* so I went ahead and let them upsell me to the larger one. 

My nephew really wanted that same phone, so we both got the same model, and I plan to order either a Star Wars case or just a red one for it, so we'll be able to tell them apart.  That seems like a good plan.**  As long as it takes good pictures and video, I shouldn't regret the purchase.

The Halloween story is up over six thousand words, and boy, I'm so close to the end, I hope I can come up with an ending for it.  It's getting to the point in the story where all I'll have left to write is the end, and then what do I do?  I'm reminded of an anecdote from when James Cameron was making TITANIC, and it was so over budget and overschedule that summer of 1997 had arrived, and one of the crewmembers down in Mexico was quoted as saying, "I wonder if Jim will let us take a day off from making the movie to go see the movie."

Maybe I'm misremembering the exact words, but certainly not the feeling.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In July: 1048
Sit-ups Total: 6883

I go to my cousin's house on Tuesdays (we finished "What We Do In The Shadows" last week and have to move on to something new), so I have to do my nightly run when the sun is out.  I was running out of time, so I grabbed the new phone (I'd had to uncouple my headphones from the old phone to connect them to the new one) and only had time to put one single song on it, since I was already going to be late.

I picked the longest song I know: American Pie by Don McLean.  I put the big new phone in my pocket (one that zips closed) and did my run.  I remember the last time I played that song first out of the gate, I got just over half a mile before it ended (the first half is always the hardest, when my legs bother me the most, when my breath refuses to catch, and when my body urges me to stop).  This time, I made it farther, and I actually got my whole run finished in two American Pies.  That's going to be a unit of measurement from now on for me.

It shouldn't take more than an American Pie to get the back seat cleared out.

You leave that pizza in, young man, for two whole American Pies, and you'll burn the crap out of it!

I'm pretty sure I could fall in love with her in less than three American Pies.

Words Today: 783 (which seems low for the time I spent writing, but these things are never predictable)
Words In July: 6074

*Heck, they didn't even have the large version I wanted less, but had to settle for.  They had to run across town to grab one for me.

**See tomorrow's post for the punchline on that particular dumb decision, won't you?

No comments: