Monday, July 20, 2020

July Sweeps - Day 171


No cabin today.  I'm home, did some work, had an appointment, and took my nephew to his baseball practice.  So I'm sitting on the grass, hoping to take advantage of the hour (now 48 minutes) to focus.

I will mention, though, that the figure I sold last week for a hundred dollars has not arrived, and the buyer has already begun to whinge.  Not only did I put a tracking number on it, but I required a signature confirmation, and that may be the problem.  If nobody's home to sign for it, then it wouldn't get delivered, would it?  Of course, I can tell that this guy's not going to accept that explanation (if that's the reason it hasn't been delivered) because my asshole detector came back from the shop, and has been buzzing regularly.  Ah well.

I will further mention that this sort of thing rarely happens with cheap figures (or if it does, I guess I don't care so much).

So, I was going to write on my egg story, but I opened the file just now, and discovered, to my horror, that I had written that the female protagonist is twelve and the male one is thirteen.  I say "to my horror," because I was writing a love scene with the two of them yesterday, and mentioned that her dad gave the boy five bucks for a box of Trojans.  Furthermore, there was conversation I wrote yesterday where she reveals she's a year older than he is and about to be a Senior in high school.

It's not a big deal, really, except that twelve and thirteen are not seventeen and sixteen, and I'll probably have to rewrite their initial interaction so it doesn't sound like they're a couple of Rish Outfields in their awkwardness and inexperience.  Ah well.*

One of the coaches keeps shouting "Outfield!" behind me, and I can't help but turn.  I have a total of zero words written so far.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In July: 3473

My cousin told me that Christopher Nolan's TENET was removed from the schedule altogether, and the theater we've been going to doesn't have any more showings beyond this week.  I guess we were lucky to have had it so good for so long.  It also makes me wish I had gone to more movies in the window that I had (didn't see BACK TO THE FUTURE, JAWS, or the second two LORD OF THE RINGS and INDIANA JONES flicks), just assuming that we'd have more and more options as more and more theaters opened.**

Tomorrow I'm going to Las Vegas to help my aunt and uncle move out of their house.  It's me and my Uncle John doing the heavy lifting and I worry about the 110 degree heat.  Knowing Vegas, we'll all get up at four in the morning so we can get everything done before it gets too hot, though I recall it being eight-five or ninety even at four am when I lived there.  I will take my laptop and still do my writing, but I pity the fool that has to go for a run in Las Vegas.

My uncle told me today that he expected me to do some kind of reading of one of my stories as we were driving, to entertain our party.  I hope he was joking, because if he wasn't, I have no idea what story I should share.  I suppose I can claim car-sickness.

Words Today: 745
Words In July: 20,338

*Went ahead and rewrote the initial description of their ages.  Hey, it counts as writing!

**I think that was a premature statement, as the theater started scheduling showings again a couple of days later.  There was probably a cool story behind why it would've closed for two days . . . but it's surely better if the story gets told a year or two from now.

No comments: