Monday, July 27, 2020

July Sweeps - Day 178

Things have not quite gone back to normal yet, but may once the cousins and aunt and uncle head out of town.  Or they may not.

Friggin' month is already over.  Guess I accomplished one of my goals, but still, it's sad to see another month pass with so little to show for it.  I was curious how long "Hatchling" is, so I pasted it into WordCounter.  So far, it's around fourteen thousand words.  If I could finish it in the next day or two, I'd count that as a success too.  But ah well, baby steps.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In July: 4267

I'm at my nephew's baseball practice right now, which seems to be a perfect opportunity to write.  We'll see if I take it, though.  Big Anklevich texted me to say he had 17 words for the day so far.  That's seventeen more than me, but I could try to pass it by.

We were told to socially distance and to wear a mask, but of the eighteen adults I can see to either side of me, the only one wearing a mask is an old lady, and the only one socially distant is the dude standing suspiciously close to me right now.

The coach (of the other team) just shouted, "Hey outfield, make sure you grab those balls the second you see 'em!"  And it took all my strength not to say, "Never been a problem before, coach."

In today's writing--which turned out to be quite a bit, using my nephew's practice and most of my other nephew's game to work on--I introduced the main character Rick's mother.  I hadn't featured her whatsoever up to this point, and now I feel like I ought to go back and retroactively put her in an earlier scene or two.  She's a single mom, good-looking, and a pretty smart cookie, but I haven't decided what she does for a job (I considered waitress, considered nurse, and considered someone who works at a women's health clinic).

I know other, better writers (and probably other, worser writers too) will write up little bios of their characters so they know all sorts of things about them, such as astrological sign, job, deepest darkest secret, musical taste, education level, fears and aspirations, physical description, personality quirks, and genital girth, but I've only ever done that two or three times, and I can't remember when the last time would've been (probably a screenplay).

I still don't know where the story is going--which should be terrifying, but hey, I write every day, and gotta work on something--but it may be that the cool mom and the dad that is based on me will get together (which is interesting), or become enemies (ditto), or never be mentioned again (that one, not so much).

Words Today: 1259
Words In July: 25,544

No comments: