Wednesday, April 29, 2020

April Sweeps - Day 89


Well, April is pretty much done.  This is the first month since we started this that Big Anklevich has blown past me in word count.  And that's fine.  It was never a competition, after all.*

I wish that I could say that I was going out with a bang, sitting down and feverishly writing a ton of words, but I think this image best sums it up:


Sorry.  I went to the park today, sat in my car, and opened my document to start writing.  I got four words in (FOUR), and then discovered just how hot it was in the car.  It was the warmest day of the year so far today (83 degrees), and that was not conducive to me getting any words done.  So, I closed the file without saving (whoops, guess those four words shouldn't count), and drove home, where I took a twenty minute nap.

Later, I rode my bike around the neighborhood (doing three miles in less time than it takes me to jog my usual 1.6 miles every night), trying hard to think of something I wanted to write.  A new story idea, maybe, or an ending to the interminable "Dead & Breakfast" tale I'm writing.  But nothing came.

I can't say what's wrong with me, except that every person has a breaking point, where they eschew their diet, or they stop working out, or they call in sick for work even though they're in good health, or they start banging Carls Junior employees left and right.  It's human nature, and if you can keep up a positive attitude and do something difficult for more than eighty-nine days in a row, well then, mister you're a better man than I.**

I meant to release my Rish Outcast episode for "The Old Man and Me" on Monday, but realized that I never edited the story.  So today, I started editing it, and right at the beginning, there's a reference to Shady Oaks Bed & Breakfast.  That seemed weird, because I had been writing these stories with the belief that the place was called the Noble Oaks Bed & Breakfast.

A few paragraphs later, there it is again, Shady Oaks.  Hmmm.

So, I thought, maybe it WAS Shady Oaks when I first created the place, and I've misremembered it all these months.  So, I looked at the file here on my laptop (titled "Dead & Breakfast - Story 1" with 12/6/15 as the Date Modified) . . . and it said Noble Oak Bed & Breakfast, totally exonerating me.  I guess I need to go back and re-line the "Old Man and Me" parts where I--

Wait a minute.  Noble Oak Bed & Breakfast?  Noble Oak singular?

Dang, that's bad.  So, I've got three different names for this place in three different stories?  That seems troubling.

Tonight, I sat down and recorded a story to tack on to the next Rish Outcast Incentive episode.  But it took me more than an hour, and edited, will probably be thirty-something minutes long.  That, along with an explanation of the story, seems like enough for its own episode.  We'll see.

Words Today: 973 (I tried to get a thousand, but just couldn't make it)
Words In April: 31,807

P.S. Every day I post one of these.  And it looks like there's only two left:
Day 29: A song you remember from your childhood.  I'm gonna go with "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" by Judy Garland.  I used to love THE WIZARD OF OZ, and the annual tradition of broadcasting it on TV.  When I was about eight, I taped all the songs onto a cassette so I could listen to them over and over.  And why not?

*Something winners never seem to say, only the losers.  Hmmm.

**I think that's from an Aerosmith song, now that I type it out.

No comments: