Friday, April 24, 2020

April Sweeps - Day 84




Well, today was a really busy work day for me.  I finally got to sit down and start blogging around eight pm, and even then, I had no words written.

Hey, but my laptop had rebooted at some point during the day, and oh, joy, for the second time since I got it, it had closed the work-in-progress I'd been writing on, without saving.  And even though I would swear that I'd saved the file in the past two days, it didn't have anything on there since Tuesday (the first time this happened was worse, though, since a whole file was unreadable).  So, I'll have to do some of that writing over.

The silver lining is that I emailed Marshal Latham a page or so of what I was writing last night, and I can just copy and paste that bit in.  Thank Bossk for that, at least.

The worst thing about having to write stuff over again is that I never feel like it's as inspired the second time, since I'm trying to recreate rather than create, you know?  And I'll never remember all of what I originally wrote.*

And if I'm being honest, I probably ought to drop about 1200 words off my word count total, since those are vanished, like Keyser Sose from a crime scene.  But I'm not going to.  Eff you, entropy.

Oh, it keeps getting weirder.  I can't explain it, but the Twilight Groan episode I finished last night is now unfinished again.  I wonder if it's possible that the computer somehow reset itself back two days, though I can't imagine how that could happen.  I have to re-edit that, and I checked the Dropbox, but it wasn't in there.

But ah well.  Honestly, I could have things a lot worse.  I made some money today, saw what's-her-name for about an eighth of a second, and have a 90% reliably laptop that I can write on, edit with, and surf the internet for hours every day on.  While I can long for more, I recognize that my fortune is pretty darn good.

Words Today: 898 (I know, I could've reached a thousand, if I had tried a little harder, but it was another one of those nights where I realized it was one am and I hadn't gone on my run yet**, and I just couldn't manage any more).
Words In April: 27,346

P.S. Each day I post one of these:
Day 24. There's really only one band that a) comes to mind, and b) the former members are not dead. So I'll pick "No Spill Blood" by Oingo Boingo.  I've mentioned that band a time or three since I started these, and this particular song is one I was thinking of trying to get my nephews to sing with me (it's the one inspired by the "Doctor Moreau" adaptation THE ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, that advises you to walk on two legs, not on four, to walk on four legs breaks the law") on a video.  But those don't always work out so great:



*Indeed, I covered that same bit of the story again today, but instead of 1300+ words, it was only 900 or so words.  What had I forgotten?  What clever description or brilliant bit of dialogue was I unable to re-create?  Was it important?  And was the rewritten stuff as good as the original content?

**This was weird: I did my usual run, aware that it was late and fairly cold out, and that I was dressed entirely in black again.  But as I reached the main street on my route across from the school, I saw another jogger/runner out as well.  It was around 1:13am, and he was coming in my direction, running flat-out at a speed I could never have managed without coming straight down a mountain.  For a moment, I thought, "Okay, I guess this is where I get attacked by somebody crazy enough to be exercising this late at night."  But a few yards away, he ducked into a yard and ran into one of the houses.  It may be that he was doing that final burst of speed thing you do when you see the finish line, or that he wasn't jogging at all, but fleeing the scene of a crime.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Do you ever use Google docs for writing? It autosaves basically every time you type. I started using it after I lost so much writing.

Rish Outfield said...

Big Anklevich swears by Google docs. I guess I would have been better off if that's how I had been writing from the start. Thanks.