Thursday, April 23, 2020

April Sweeps - Day 83


I hate it when Big texts me his word count for the day and mine is still at zero.  I hate it, well, pretty much at Vin Diesel level, but not quite at Pauly Shore level.  I always feel like Sisyphus, and the damn rock has rolled down again.

But today, Big told me that maybe I shouldn't start each day at zero, if it bothers me so much, but to start at the word count I am for the month.  That way, I get a sense of accomplishment right from the get-go, and don't feel quite so hopeless about it.  Thanks, Big!

I did what I could as far as work and exercise today.  I still struggle with the first part of my run, and am tempted to stop around the same point each time.  After the first mile, it's definitely easier, but I do question my sanity in going running every night.  And I've never experienced the out-of-body thing again, even though it's the same route at roughly the same pace every single time.  I worry that I'll have to increase it to two miles in May.  Because I hate myself that much.

I meant to post another Storage Unit Serenade today or yesterday, but I haven't had a chance.  Maybe I'll set a goal of staying up till three instead of two, to see if that gives me an extra few minutes to get work done.  Because I hate sleep that much.

I finished another Twilight Groan episode, and sat down to record the third of three carnival-related stories I wrote many years ago.  To my surprise, the third story--which I had never been particularly proud of, stands up the best twenty years later.  In fact, I might even go as far as to say that it is a genuinely good story.  Funny, that.*

Alright, I finally sat down and started writing again (just a bit on the Mason/Rowan story.  I am trying to make this one scary, and I really like the idea that Mason, who has a rapport--almost a friendship--with ghosts, suddenly encounters a bad one, and realizes, "Hey, maybe ghosts aren't this wonderful, romantic thing after all."  Unfortunately, I still don't know where this one's going.  I worry it might be going nowhere).  Boy, I wish I were better at this.

Words Today: 866
Words In April: 26,448

P.S. Each day I post one of these:

Day 23. This is another badly-phrased one. WHY should everyone listen to it? So they'll understand me more? So they'll be familiar with an obscure song? So they'll like it? So they'll learn something from it?
Okay, "Imagine" by John Lennon. I guess it's easy if you try.

*I rewrote a couple of sentences, here and there, and changed a line of dialogue or two (I'd apparently last touched the file in 2005).  But it only amounted to 120 words of difference.  Still counts, though.

No comments: