Thursday, April 16, 2020

February Sweeps - Day 76


I didn't record anything last night either.  Around twelve, I thought about setting up the microphone, but thought, "I'm gonna listen to a couple songs on YouTube first."  A few minutes later, I opened my eyes and realized I'd slept from 12:15 to about 12:41.  But now, well, I was lethargic, and didn't want to record, but I also didn't want to go back to sleep.

I edited a bit longer on audio (finished half of Chapter 20, will finish the other half today), and spent an hour or so putting the daily Facebook song picks on my last dozen posts.

Big Anklevich mentioned the other day that he hoped somebody gave me a donation, so he could hear my production of "Bad Trip," the story of taking my daughter to the absolute least child-friendly locale on her school field trip (hey, maybe I could call it "Far Afield Trip!").  So I 'll say it again: give me a donation, not for my sake . . . but for Big's.

Right now, I'm at the park and I can't keep my eyes open.  How do the rest of you do it?

So, I forced myself to run up and down the stairs a couple of times (to wake me up) and then I went to the car and forced myself to write a thousand words more on this supposedly-romantic, supposedly-charming Mason/Rowan story.  Today I asked the musical question "Is it immoral to become romantically involved with someone you have saved the life of?"  Mason puts it this way: "If Superman saved Lois Lane from a train derailment, and then said, 'Send me a naked selfie sometime,' would that be wrong of him?"

I'm not really asking the question here (as you know, I would date a dead body if it didn't have a problem with my singing), but it's an interesting quandary for my main character to have.  He's a nice guy, you see, nicer than me.  And then the secondary question of the night is, "Why did the ghosts go out of their way to save this girl's life?"  Do they have a connection to her?  Is she special in some way?  Will she become special in the future and they were aware of this?  Or do they just want Mason Bradley to finally get some?

I wonder if I dare end this particular story WITHOUT answering that question.  Hmmm.

And that brings us to the wonderful idea of . . . what happens if some supernatural force wanted her dead, and that force was thwarted?  Will it try again?

Words Today: 1554
Words This Month: 18,254

P.S. Each day I post one of these.
Day 16.  "Brown-Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison.  This was a hard one, though.  What determines a classic?*  And a classic favorite?  When I was little, a "classic" was something from before I was born, but by the Nineties, they were calling movies from the Nineties "modern classics" (well, TNT was, anyway).  My first thought was Ben E. King's "Stand By Me," or a song by the Beatles, but I chose the Van Morrison song because it always makes me feel good to hear it, and I guess that means
a lot, now that I'm lightspeeding toward the grave.

*A classic could be many things to many people.  To a young person, Country Taylor Swift might be Classic.  And to those in Hell, Drake's new album is already considered a classic.

3 comments:

Journey Into... said...

So Rowen becomes Charley from "Lost" and Mason become Desmond? That would be cool.

Rish Outfield said...

You'll have to explain that bit to me. I remember Charlie drowning and Desmond traveling through time.

Journey Into... said...

After the hatch exploded in a magnetic event, Desmond came back and he could see the future and he kept saving Charlie from dying over and over again. Ultimately, he realized that Charley dying was inevitable, and this last time, he had to die to save everyone else.