Tuesday, August 25, 2020

August Sweeps - Day 207

Today was my early day, and I still didn't get anything done.

But that's part of life, isn't it?  You never get to it all, and then, whoosh, fade to black.

I really wish I were a real, professional writer, because I keep having ideas for stories, and I know I'll never get to them.  I mean, I'm doing alright right now--for me, at least--but the story I worked on today, if I took my writing Seriously (with a capital S), I would have already finished and moved on to the next one.

I was thinking of maybe calling it "The New Model," but now that I type it, I realize that it sucks.  "Next Year's Model?"  I dunno.  I heard my new second-favorite song, Break My Heart by Dua Lipa again tonight, and I thought that the sentiment of the song* matched the theme of this story completely, in that Natalie Whitmore is an alpha predator, and meets this guy who she falls for like a little girl at her very first neighborhood cotillion.  So I thought I might grab a lyric from it and name the story after that.  We'll see, though--at this point, I'm not sure how she's going to get the guy--Marc--to come to the bed and breakfast on July 2nd, and what will happen to him when he gets there.**

I went to the park and wrote for a while today, and I guess I should mention that I've been texting Renee Chambliss daily to urge her to write, and she's done it three days in a row now.  Pretty soon her word count will start to pass mine by, I suspect.

Sit-ups Today: 200
Sit-ups In August: 4547

A few years ago, I wrote a story where one of the characters refers to having gone to junior high, and I decided to change the reference to "middle school" because that's how Big Anklevich (and practically everybody else I meet) refers to those years.  I thought Big would be proud of me so I told him how I'd changed it, but he must have thought I was making fun of him, because he pretty much called me an asshole about it, when all I was trying to do was make the reference modern and universal, rather than the forty year old hick background I come from.

Anyway, today I wrote the following phrase: "She stood next to him, and saw the shadow they cast on the big rock beside them.  If you looked up Couple in the dictionary, you'd get something just like that."  But for the same reason as the above, even though I like it better the way I wrote it, I changed it to, "If you Googled images under the word Couple, the first picture would be exactly that."

I've decided to hit the cabin again tomorrow, because there will come a day in the next few weeks, when I can no longer go there, and I don't want to waste what time I have left.  If I were really a Writer (with a capital W), I would make it my goal to finish this story, so I can go on to finishing the novel, so I could go on to writing something new.  As I type at least once a week on here, we'll see.

Words Today: 1243
Words In August: 25,621

*A woman who has been with a ton of men (she gives the number as "a hundred million" in the song) and always has the upper hand finally meets a guy who makes her feel like she never has before, and suddenly, she's vulnerable, and is in danger of getting her heart broken . . . for the first time.

**Since Natalie wasn't even working there in the one story I wrote that takes place on that night ("True Ghost Encounter").

No comments: